Chapter 3

Jack glanced around at the boys as they waited for the distribution center to open. As the oldest, he felt responsible for making sure every boy was okay, and last night he had failed. His dark eyes slipped over to Sniper, who was playing Ringer with Tommy Boy.

"He's okay, y'know," Crutchie said from his side.

"I know, I just feel... I just.... I wasn't there for him." Jack spoke carefully, not wanting to draw any attention to them.

"You can't be everywhere at once," Crutchie said. "And no one blames you, Sniper's okay. Everyone's fine."

"But he thought that he'd have to sleep outside! All I've ever tried to do is keep all of you safe, and make sure that you all know that wese a family, but Snipe thought he'd have to sleep on the streets! What am I s'posed to think, 'cept I ain't been doin' things right?"

"Jack, youse doin' as good as you can, and it's more than enough," Crutchie said sternly.  'Sides, your job is sellin' papes, not takin' care of us."

Jack smiled at the shorter boy. "Thanks Crutch. I need someone to talk some sense into me every once in awhile."

"That's what brothers are for," Crutchie smiled softly.

"That's right, that's what brothers are for," Jack squeezed Crutchie's arm and turned back to the group, waving Davey over when the Jacobs siblings came into sight.

Davey made his way over to Jack and Crutchie as Les ran over to watch the game of Ringer.

"Hey Jack, Crutchie," Davey gave each boy a nod and a smile.

"Good morning Davey," Crutchie said brightly from Jack's right.

"Hey, Dave. I need to talk to you real quick," Jack said, stepping to the side. Davey gave a confused nod and followed him even further from the group of boys as Crutchie hobbled over to join a conversation with Mike and Ike.

"What did you need, Jack?" Davey asked when Jack had stopped at the corner of the square.

"Ya see Snipes ova' there?" Jack nodded to the boy he was speaking about. Davey spun his head around, and Jack quickly grabbed his chin, whirling him back around.

"Not so obvious, Dave! You gotta be discreet." Davey looked over more carefully, glancing out of the corner of his eye. "That's better."

"Okay, Jack, I see him. What about him?"

"Yesterday he had a run in with some guys from the Bronx. They stole his papes, so keep a close eye on Les, okay?"

"I will. Thanks Jack." Davey said, facing his friend.

"Hey, I'm just tryin' to make sure my partners are makin' all the money they can. If Les loses his papes, that's less money in my pocket tonight." Jack said, passing Davey and heading back towards the center of the square. Davey rolled his eyes and followed him over.

***
"Jack! I already sold all my papes!" Les stated proudly, puffing out his chest as he grabbed Jack's sleeve.

"See, I knews you was a natural!" Jack reached over and patted the kid's shoulder. "Youse gotta be one o' da best newsies I know!"

"Really? Even better than Romeo? Cause Albert said that he's handsome so all the ladies like 'im."

"They like you too, cause they like cute little kids."

"And that's why Davey doesn't sell very much, cause he ain't cute!" Les grinned.

"Don't let him hear you say that! You might hurt his feelins!" Jack chuckled. "It ain't his fault, not everyone can have a face like dis."