14

Much to my relief, the third years confirmed that they will be playing in the spring tournament. I record new strategies and training menus as I walk around an observe them. I had them do off-court conditioning and Ukai had them do matches against themselves. I sit back on the bench next to Ukai.

"I wish we had more practice matches," he notes. I nod. "They can only play each other so much," He nods. The players currently are lifting a moderate amount of weight based on my evaluation. The polished wooden floor reflected the harsh white lights from overhead, making the room brighter. The old birch wood panel walls really show off how old these facilities are.

The off-white double doors barge open and an out-of-breath sensei rests his hands on his knees. He hold up a paper with what looks to be writing, "We got an invitation to Nekoma's training camp!" he shouts between pants. I look over at Coach's shocked expression and trot over to Takeda-sensei.

He hands me the creased paper outlining the basic information of the camp. Ukai comes up and reads it with me. "Look at all these powerhouse school," he mutters. I nod. Nekoma, Ubugawa, Shinzen, and my highschool for a brief period, Fukurodani. Memories of getting called out for my stats turn over. Memories of the U-19 team also flood back in.

"Guess, I'll be seeing some familiar faces," I note. "You hear that? We'll be at Nekoma training with the best. Let's not make a fool of ourselves, alright?!" Ukai shouts.

"OSU!" the team shouts back. "What's next on the menu today?" Ukai leans his head to me. "Sprints down heartbreak hill," He nods and calls the team to heartbreak hill and instructs them to go in groups of two.

"Heartbreak hill: a notoriously difficult slope in near to the school," I mutter. They line themselves up in two columns. I stand to the side and get ready to the go to the first group. Ukai holds his stopwatch at the ready.

I look over at him and nod. I tweet the black whistle on my mouth. Daichi and Sugawara take off down the straight and up the hill. When I see they reach the top I give a signal to stop the time. Kiyoko records the times and I blow the whistle for the next two.

The last two left are Hinata and Kageyama. They grumble at each other about who can go the fastest. They get ready and I blow the whistle. They kick up clouds of dust as their heels hit the asphalt. They yell at each other as they reach the top. At the top, where the rest of the players rest at, they bypass it.

"What are they doing?!" Ukai shouts as he hits the timer. I pinch the bridge of my nose and push up my glasses. "I'll get them," I say as I set up for a sprint.

When I am ready, I launch myself forward and up the hill, my thighs ache slightly but I continue at my fast pace.I turn the corner just as the two turn another. I huff and increase my speed more. I haven't ran like this in a while.

I slowly catch up to them when I notice a tall man. He scowls at the two and runs off. But they are following him? "What are they doing now?" I turn a few more corners, following them still. They stop in front of a huge white building.

I slow my pace and observe what they are doing. Then man, which turns out to be Wakatoshi Ushijima, a famous left-handed U-19 player. I lean against a fence and watch the scene unfold. Wakatoshi holds up a volleyball over his head, most likely mocking Hinata.

However, Hinata rockets up and pushes the volleyball out of his hand. "Hinata Shouyo of the concrete, remember it," At this point I pick myself up off the fence and approach the three. "Hinata, Kageyama. You shouldn't run off with strange men," I stuff my hands in my pocket and smirk.

"Chi-chan that's Wakatoshi Ushijima! He's a U-19 volleyball player for Japan," Hinata shouts back. I nod, "Trust me, I know him," I walk up to Wakatoshi and look up. "Chihiro-san," he greets.