Chapter 12

Things had been tense ever since the disagreement in the kitchens, so I was glad when Princess Everly invited me to her room for tea. We hadn't spoken since she'd helped me with Celia's history test, so I was glad for the welcome distraction from the Elite and their drama.

We sat at a small table on her balcony, teacups in hand and small pastries arranged neatly on a platter. Sitting here with Everly, curled up in our dresses as we watched the sky turned dark orange and pink, made me realize how markedly different my life was at this time last year. Back home, I would have been giving the animals a late dinner while my family cleaned up ours. Now I was eating pastries with a princess.

"This is my favorite time of day," Everly smiled as she sipped from her cup. "That sleepy, after-dinner feeling--I love it."

I chuckled. "I'm not used to sitting and watching a sunset. Back home, it was up at dawn and work until bedtime."

"What was it like?" Everly swiveled to look at me, her strawberry-blonde locks down in waves, making her look even younger. "Living on a farm, I mean."

"It was home," I shrugged. "I worked most of the time, but I guess...after staying here for so long, I do miss the open fields."

"It can be fairly stifling after a while," Everly nodded quietly, turning her gaze to the wall around the palace. "I've always wondered what it's like to live in a place without everyone waiting on you."

I paused, unsure what to say. I'd never thought that anyone in Everly's position would consider a life like my old one--and wonder what it was like to live it.

She shook her head suddenly, turning back to look at me. "It's nice to have someone to talk to. Someone closer to my age, that isn't family."

I smiled at her, pushing away the heaviness of our previous conversation. "It's nice to talk to someone who isn't in a competition to marry your brother."

"I can see why he likes you," she grinned. "Gen might not be happy about it, but I'd rather be friends with my brother's wife as opposed to strangers."

I coughed, tea spluttering from my lips. Her brother's wife--those words seemed so odd.

"Sorry," she blushed. "I just--well, Genevieve and I are so different. When Mom and Dad told us about Derek's selection, I was excited to have a new sister."

"I...wow," I gaped, not sure how to respond.

She shrugged. "It's true."

I swallowed, fishing for something to take the focus away from me. "Is there anyone that you've got your eye on?"

Her cheeks burned red as she picked at her dress--no doubt thinking of James. "Of course not."

I chuckled, not wanting to push, but still curious. "You're sixteen, only a year younger than me. You're allowed to have crushes."

"Well, there's not exactly a lot of sixteen year old boys in the palace."

I raised a brow. "They don't have to be sixteen."

She blushed, standing up suddenly. "It's getting late. I'll walk you back to your room."

I sighed, mentally slapping myself. "You don't have to do that."

"It's alright," she shook her head, cleaning up the table. "The guards have been stricter lately. If they see you alone up here they won't ask questions."

After helping her clear our plates and cups, we walked back into her room and into the hall. It was quiet, the windows dark, with only the lights to guide our way. The palace was beginning to shut down; no doubt that the rest of the Elite were readying for bed.

We were silent as we walked down to the second floor, met by a guard or maid every few seconds. I cringed, thinking back to our conversation only moments ago. Just as I was becoming friends with Everly, I'd pried too much.

"Princess Everly, I'm sorry about-"

"James!" Everly exclaimed suddenly, stopping in her tracks.

James turned to look at us, his lips widening into a grin as his uniform and eyes sparkled in the low light. "Hey you two."

"Hey back." I glanced between him and Everly, noting her frantic foot-tapping; a nervous tic she shared with her older brother.

James chuckled, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he walked over. "What's up with you two being friendly all of a sudden? I thought you were 'BFF's' with Genevieve." He gave me a pointed look.

"What, I can't be friends with Everly?" I crossed my arms.

"Of course you can. Ev's a sweetheart," he smiled, making the princesses' cheeks turn pink. "But she's also the exact opposite of her sister."

"Yes, because Genevieve's personality determines all of my friendships," I rolled my eyes. "Besides, I haven't really talked to her since the Italians came."

"Yeah, well, she's complicated. Especially when the Italians are here." James shrugged, a strange look on his face.

Everly shifted, glancing between James and I. Smiling, I stepped back. "I should go. Now be a gentleman and walk the princess back to her room."

But as I began to turn around, a glimpse of something down the hall behind Everly and James caught my eye. My sudden staring had them both turning the same way, both tensing up as they saw what had frozen me in place.

Derek. And Audrey, in his arms. Kissing.

"Oh. Erika..." James and Everly both began to speak, positioning themselves in front of me.

"I'm fine," I backed away, nearly stumbling over my dress. "I'm fine."

But as I turned away, nearly running back to my room while tears streamed down my cheeks, my eyes burned with the image of them together. Their lips touching.

And all I could think was why her.
   _________________________
Finally on summer vacation, which means time to update! As you guys can see, drama is definitely beginning to worm its way into the story ;) Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! I'll try and update again soon.

Have a wonderful day!

-xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_