V

A/N Hello! It's been awhile! (Sorry!)
Incase you weren't aware - I was in Sydney to see my best friend :) While I was there we were lucky enough to see Green Day and All Time Low/Neck Deep/The Maine! (They were incredible!)
Also it was my birthday Saturday (27th) and I turned 20, which is terrifying tbh hahaha.

PLEASE COMMENT
PLEASE VOTE
*UNEDITED*

*****

i didn't leave because
i stopped loving you
i left because the longer
i stayed the less
i loved myself

- Rupi Kaur, Milk and Honey

*****

Brinley felt sick.

Her day had started with the announcement that Pike had been elected Chancellor and while this revelation had angered Brinley, some small part of her had hoped that perhaps Pike would step up to the job in a way that would help rather than hinder.

Brinley should have known better than to be so optimistic.

She had felt her Father's eyes on her all morning, watching with a careful and calculating gaze as though waiting for her to fly off the handle about something. Brinley had tried her best to ignore it, but it proved to be difficult. It wasn't until some time later that she realised her Father hadn't told her the whole truth about what had happened in the holding cell that morning.

The gates opened and immediately all eyes were drawn to the area as the newly elected Chancellor appeared. Brinley felt immediate panic consume her as Bellamy came into view, his clothing stained with still wet blood, however the panic began to subside and give way to utter dread as she realised there wasn't something entirely right, that these people didn't look injured at all.

If anything, they looked accomplished.

Brinley watched Octavia run towards Bellamy, concern in her expression that almost immediately disappeared as Bellamy brushed her off coldly. Brinley quickly moved towards Lincoln and Octavia, a terrible thought forming in the back of her mind as Pike began speaking to the watching crowd.

'Everybody listen up!' Pike boomed. 'Twenty-four hours ago, you elected me your Chancellor, every action I've taken since, and every action I will take will be to achieve one sacred goal. The creation of a self sustaining, prosperous and safe Arkadia.'

There were yells of agreement.

'This morning, on a muddy field, our people paid tribute to those who have been taken from us by sending a message to the grounders! This land is ours now!'

'Oh my god.' Brinley got out shakily, seeing her horror reflected in Lincoln and Octavia's expressions. This was exactly what Brinley had been afraid of the moment Bellamy had suggested the idea of Pike as Chancellor.

War.

'Resist, and you will be met by force!' Pike continued. 'Fight, and you will be greeted by death! Today is a new beginning, mark it down, and remember it just like the grounders will remember it!'

Brinley felt eyes on her as Pike's speech came to an end, and swallowing harshly she looked up, meeting a familiar set of eyes that once held so much warmth, but now only held ice.

Brinley stared right back at Bellamy, feeling a vicious surge of satisfaction when he was the first to look away as he submissively followed after Pike's retreating figure.

*****

Brinley and Octavia had seen much violence and bloodshed in their short lives. From the moment they'd set foot on the ground their lives had become battle after battle, with new enemies and obstacles surfacing whenever they finally thought they'd won. Both girls had accepted this way of life, accepting that for the most part, the only option was to kill, or be killed. Because of this, gruesome and bloody battlefields no longer shocked the girls like they once did.