Chapter 36: Runaway Rabbit

CHAPTER 36:
RUNAWAY RABBIT

             HEAVENS, JUST when Nikolas thought that he couldn't get any angrier, that runt just had to prove him wrong over and over again. Alright, he was prepared to catch them in that kind of situation — it was unavoidable, going in the back alley from club with just one person usually meant fucking on the wall or however they wanted. He was really prepared, he just hoped that she had a single ounce of sanity left in her to say "No".

Who the hell decides to fuck someone after losing their memory?!

But for some unknown reason — no, he was certain now, it was jealousy — seeing her on her knees about to give head to someone else really pissed him off. Not to mention that the certain someone was number one on the list of people Nikolas currently wanted dead. He didn't think much when he took out the gun: he had intended to kill him from the very start, now he simply had one more reason to do so.

Taking a step towards Snake, he noticed him widening his eyes, he grinned at that sight. Sadistic nature of his raised on the surface of his skin, he wanted to laugh at the pitiful sight his target was in.

Good. He deserved every single ounce of what will happen. Forty-two. Forty two people, out of whom were thirty-six innocent bystanders, died that day when this man betrayed them.

He killed them and laughed it off, he only saw them like a livestock — nothing more, nothing else. Just pawns he could step on, that man didn't hesitate to kill anyone if that was going to lead him to the top.

Precisely the kind of men Nikolas hated — anyone willing to sacrifice anyone for the sake of achieving their goal was scum in his eyes.

"Look what the birdie brought us tonight," he spoke, licking his lower lip. Why yes, he was sick bastard himself, he won't hide it. Sometimes, for the sake of protecting someone innocent, you have to become an even greater evil then the one you're hunting down. Unfortunately, when you stare at the abyss, the abyss stares back at you and you end up becoming the kind of bastard you were fighting against.

The same was with Nikolas. Sure, he had Vincent who did his best to give him normal life, he had a younger sister that had nothing to do with their world and loving friends that kept him on the right track — but his burden was too great for that. Being one of heads of the underground, he had no choice but to allow himself to be tainted. If it weren't him, someone else would've had to take over that burden and that someone might not be someone who shared the same ideals like he had. They could break before the pressure, too — Nikolas was prepared from the very beginning by his grandfather to take over that role so he was a hard nut. The same was with Vincent, but Vincent never caught up to his father's expectations. Not even when they dragged and killed Vin's wife did he snap and went on a killing sphere. He grieved, he didn't show it to anyone — he just wasn't cut out for that kind of work.

Nikolas truly did admire him. It was rare, but Vincent used to break here and there when he thought no one noticed, but Nikolas saw everything. He only had his father so he lived up to expectations of his grandfather and tried his best to take over a big part of Vincent's burden.

Close you heart, don't let anyone in and act like you font care — it was simple, really. Trust was what killed his mother, so he hated traitors the most. Even if they were his best friends, he wouldn't hesitate to kill them if they did the same.

Yet, it was precisely that isolation and caged reality that took Ava away from him.

"Ah, this is quite surprising, indeed," Snake replied, his voice almost sounded like hissing to Nikolas. He really lived up to his nickname, didn't he?