Chapter 19 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

CHAPTER 19
NIGEL QUINTIN ULYSSES

"I can't believe she broke up with me," I tell Marcus, who has been all ears with me. I get a feeling that he's getting irritated or annoyed by the fact that I keep taking about Julia and our painful break up, but he's my only outlet. It's not like I need advices coming from him because I don't; all I need is someone who will listen and try to understand where I'm coming from. But despite the annoyance or irritation he feels towards me or Julia, he never cuts me off or objects, but instead, he listens to me. "It's just, we've been, like, forever and some man just gotta steal her away from me and it's too late for me to barge in and take what's mine."

"You don't deserve her anyway," replies Marcus.

There's something about the way he said it. It sounds truthful, genuine, as if he really believes that I really don't deserve Julia. And I don't know why I have the feeling to believe him. I think that I should be angry, should be at least mad at him for saying such an absurd thought, but I can't. For some reason, I can't get mad at him.

"There's a lot of people out there, loving you, waiting for you to love them back." His eyes grow serious, but sadder. His voice becomes low, his shoulders sag down, as if he's carrying the world behind his back. My heart clenches at the sight of him. "You just gotta look around, you know."

Pursing my lips, I look away, hiding my face from him. His words somehow struck me right in the heart. I remain silent because I really don't know what to say. I've got a few questions in my head, but I'm not sure how to deliver them. First, I want to ask him who are those people. Second, if he's one of the people who want my love back. That's an absurd thought yet I can't help but to imagine him loving me. Though we've met not too long ago (but despite that, I already asked him – basically forced him – to come live with me just for him to ditch the weirdo and unfriend him), I feel like we already have a strong connection.

After that awkward talk, I decide for us to watch Most Popular Girls in School just to avoid the awkwardness lingering in the air. Fortunately, he complies. After watching a few episodes, the awkwardness has been long gone and forgotten. We are comfortable again to sit side by side, with our legs touching. I ignore the tingling sensation it gives me, and I wonder if he feels the same way. I ignore it as hard as I can, but every time his skin touches mine, I become too bothered and hot and confused. I want to be close to him as close as possible. Every now and then he will glance at me. I notice it because I keep doing the same thing. I keep glancing at him, hoping for something to happen between us. Why would I want to happen something between us?

We keep watching my favorite videos and episodes of Most Popular Girls in School in the television, my phone linked to the TV using Chromecast. There are snarky remarks and retorts here and there which make us laugh. For some reason, unknowingly, our hands found its way to hold each other. As it does, I look up at him and he looks right back at me. I gulp (I hope he doesn't hear how loud it is) and try to avoid eye contact, but his hand shoots forward and cups my chin, forcing me to look at him.

Leaning down slowly, his eyes hold mine and he says, "I'm always waiting," and that's the time he kisses me. His lips move against mine, and I'm frozen, not doing anything. His hand slides behind my neck, then slowly, my eyes close down, feeling how soft and gentle his lips against mine. His free arm curls around my waist, lifting me up on his lip so basically I'm straddling him.

I blush but continue to kiss him back. There's something about his lips that keep me going from kissing him. His lips taste good – it tastes like sweet strawberries, and I love strawberries. His tongue swipes down, tracing my lower lip and I open my mouth; Marcus slips his tongue inside, and our tongues clash for dominance. But I have a good idea that I am to lose, so I let it slide and let him win. His tongue roams inside my mouth, tasting every part of me.