To Jean & Chase

An unspeakable truce had been initiated so Lissa simply ate her midnight breakfast while Will was apparently reading an English newspaper, sipping his glass of wine slowly. Both though stole glances when the other wasn't watching. Just because there was something there, neither just had the word for it yet.

"Shhh, Chase." Jean tried to say as she and Chase parked the car, after their stargazing date. The stars weren't as close as they were when they went to the University's Observatory, but it was just a tad more romantic. It was just them, in her hometown, after all.

"Who would be up?" Chase grinned euphorically as he picked her up, Jean wrapping her legs around his legs, resisting a laugh. "Key milady?" He asked aristocratically, causing Jean to smile as she gave him her key. With a happy sigh, rather on a euphoric high herself, Jean closed her eyes and rested her chin on his shoulder. She had needed that date. Now she felt a little foolish for trying to turn Chase down earlier that night.

Almost reading her thoughts, Chase kissed her softly on the lips. "Let me just put the bottle back..." He trailed off because upon rounding the corner to the kitchen, he realized they were not alone.

"Hey there love birds." Lissa grinned while Will looked at them not quite expressionless but close enough. The only indication of his thoughts was the slight arch of both his fine dark brows, taking in the image of Jean and Chase.

Blushing, Jean unwrapped her legs from Chase's waist, getting down with some help.

"So that's where the good wine went." Lissa said amused, grinning now like the Cheshire cat, quite enjoying the situation. Too often before, the situation had been reversed, she the one having to sneak in after a night out with her friends.

With that comment, Chase laughed. "Yes, pardon me, I didn't realize you two had your own date-"

"Chase," Will groaned. "Please think before you talk." He began to say but was cut off at Lissa humoring Chase.

"You just missed us going at it on the kitchen island. Shame, just a minute earlier." She shook her head before taking a bite of her eggs. At everyone staring at her, Lissa shrugged.

Will just stared at her, at a loss for words. Women he knew would never say that out loud in company!

Chase though recovered quickly because he rather thought it was hilarious. "I'm rather excited for you to be my sister in law, Lissa."

Lissa winked as Jean shook her head in defeat. "I'm rather excited about your bank account." She replied in such a way that it would have been hard to decide whether she was jesting or not. However the fact that she wasn't looking at Chase, but his best man, said it all. Causing said best man to freeze, his body going rigid at the sharp comment aimed at him.

"Oh Lissa." Jean sighed while the clueless one, Chase had no idea what was going on,. "I quite like your purchases." This time all three occupants looked at him. "What? I remember Jean telling me about your purchase of Orwell's Time Machine."

"Orwell? Time machine?" Will echoed in disbelief.

However he was ignored as Chase and Lissa grinned at each other, rather engaged in their conversation. "Did she tell you it ended up being a combination lock, just made to look like a time machine?"

"Oh," Chase laughed. "Yes."

"I think we should all head to bed now," Will sighed, quite wondering how Chase was like he was. One would think with Carolynn as his sister and practically his guardian... but then again she and him may have smothered Chase.

"Will's right." Jean agreed, feeling the night catching up to her.

"Can I at least finish my meal, people?" Lissa spoke up.

"Oh," Jean looked at her and her plate. "Yes, sorry Lissa." She meekly said before taking a seat beside her sister.

Laughing, Chase too took the seat right next to Will. "Can I steal that piece of toast?" Chase asked, eyeing Lissa's toast but she glared at him and pointed to the fridge, telling him to get his own with her eyes.

~~~

Somehow the quiet meal Lissa had been expecting to eat all by herself had become their little happy hour as they finished up the last of the good wine while Jean and Chase had ended up cooking up their own breakfast.

Watching Jean kiss the bridge of Chase's nose as he flipped his omelet, showing off his culinary skills via his brief summer stint at culinary school, both other occupants of the room sighed.

"To joining the family." Lissa quipped.

"To... Chase and Jean." Will added with a slight hesitation that he was of course glared at by Lissa Bennet.

"To us," Jean and Chase whispered together, clinking glasses too before glancing at each other.

~~~Week Later: Day of Wedding~~~

The church was in a buzz. The wedding was already delayed for nearly an hour because there had been problems with the caterer. Then some time ago the best man had disappeared to find the groom, only to not come back.

"Just, I don't care anymore." Lissa yelled at the caterer. "The wedding is already delayed as it is. Just do your best please! But if you don't think you can, tell me now." She said, feeling her stress levels rise with each word.

"We'll try," The caterer responded meekly.

"Thank you," Lissa sighed.

"Oh my head, my head." Mrs. Bennet complained, fanning herself with her fan to match her British counterparts who looked more confused than ever and bored. Utterly bored.

The maid of honor ran in her four inch heels, her lavender chiffon dress flowing behind her, to the back of the church but she found the same scene that her younger sisters had. Her hair was practically falling out of its intricate plait that had just been professionally done that morning, even twining lavender ribbons into the plait. The groom's room was completely empty... no sign of life. No groom and no best man.

"That, that, those" Lissa huffed, feeling all her anxiety and anger build up. Her mind immediately assuming the worst, because what else could one assume at this point? The stress finally getting to her. "Bastardddddddddddddddds!" She screamed.

~~~