Chapter 13

Lewis's POV

Another womb? Pregnant again? Me?

I listened to the conversation outside my door, the loud arguments echoing in my room. If Silas really thinks I'm going to let him mate with me again, he's wrong. I was thankful that Scott stood up for me. As the Beta, he has a lot of influence in the pack. I don't know what I'd do if he supported Silas.

I sighed. Looking around, only one thing was on my mind. Why am I still here? I could probably get up and leave. I looked at the door. I have to leave. I don't know what they'd do if I stayed. As far as I can tell, it involves getting closer to Silas, in more ways than one.

I pulled the IV drip from my arm, wincing at the numb pain. My head spun as I pushed myself up and over the safety rail on the bed. Landing on the floor, I steadied myself on the rail to keep from toppling over. My legs felt weak and my head swirled. Even so, I continued.

The window was not blocked, nobody suspecting that weak, innocent Lewis would have the capability to leave. I pushed it open with difficulty, climbing onto the window sill. I looked down from the second story window, swallowing hard. I could make this if I had a wolf to heal me. All the more reason to leave.

Climbing down precariously, I slipped from window sill to window sill, dropping down to the ground with a thud. I looked around, my breathing slow and labored. Finally, deciding I was safe, I snuck around the side, using the bushes as cover. I made it to the forest, using the berries and sap to hide my scent.

When I'd gotten a little ways away from the pack, I heard a long, low howl. A warning. They know I'm missing. Several Howl's came back in response. A search team. Panic welled up inside of me. What will they do when they catch me? Or, worse, what will Silas do?

They'll force me to have the surgery. Force me to bear pups. Continue the line because I'm his mate, the 'ex' part of that word happily forgotten. They think doing the same things they did last time will make it better. No one would even care if I was rejected by someone besides Silas. It would give them a reason to be rid of me.

I listened, my ears pricked back as I snuck through the forest. I couldn't shift, not in my current state and not without alerting them to my whereabouts. It frustrated me, being without my wolf. And my child, too. The warmth in my stomach was replaced by a bitter hate and a knotted fear of what would happen. No one was on my side. Even Scott, being the Beta, was loyal to Silas. He'd eventually give in to his demands. Everyone does.

Except me.

If I can't be a werewolf, who's to say I can't be human? I can live among them, hiding my scent with their own filth and waste. I can start again, without Silas.

I turned towards the edge of the forest, which would take me to the closest town. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

-----

A/N: Thanks for reading and enjoying the story thus far! I've been reading the comments on the story, and wanted to ask all my readers a question regarding the ending of the story. Comment on your answer on each question.

1. Do you think Silas and Lewis should get back together?

2. Should Silas get rejected and Lewis find someone else?

3. Should they both be happy with someone else?

4. Does Scott get his own story?

5. Another child or not?

Thanks for all the feedback! I look forward to your answers, which will help me make the story better!

~Turtle Cat