Event Three: The Wide Window

"I can't believe this." Ron Weasley said, letting out a low whistle as he stared in awe through the glass panel of the large corporate box. "You get to go to Quidditch matches as part of your job, and you don't even appreciate it."

"Hence why I brought you and Harry," Hermione answered, unimpressed by the sight of the Falmouth Falcons and Puddlemere United warming up on the pitch. "And it's not that I don't like Quidditch. I'm just not in love with it like the two of you."

"Admit it, you're scared of some person falling off their broom, landing on your head, and making you stupid," Ron said.

"Well, at least there is glass separating you from the field," Harry said, tapping his knuckle against the wide window. "You don't need to worry about some stray bludger or player hitting you."

"I still don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like this is the World Cup," Hermione said.

Ron shook his head, voice full of disbelief. "Falmouth and Puddlemere have won five of the last eight league titles between them, and they are the only undefeated teams left this season. The outcome of this game could determine who wins it this year." Ron sighed, clearly disappointed in Hermione's lack of interest. "I don't think you realize just how difficult it is to get tickets for this match. George has been trying for months."

"Aren't you a Cannons fan? Maybe I should have invited George instead." Hermione turned to her red-headed friend, smiling as he spluttered in outrage.

"Of course not! I won these fair and square."

"I gave those to you," Hermione said.

"As you should have. I've been your friend for ages, and what has George done for you? Besides, you owe me for choosing not to date me."

"Smooth, Ron. Real smooth." Harry interjected, resting his forehead in his right hand in feigned embarrassment.

"Aw, she knows I'm kidding."

Fortunately, he was. Ron bore no ill will for Hermione's decision not to pursue anything further than the one kiss they had shared during the final battle at Hogwarts. Things had been awkward between the two for a few months but quickly returned to normal once Ron started dating his on-again, off-again, currently on-again girlfriend, Lavender Brown.

An attendant approached the group, asking if they wanted anything to drink.

Harry and Hermione both asked for butterbeer; Ron ordered a firewhisky.

As soon as the attendant walked away, Hermione rounded on him. "You better not embarrass me by getting drunk."

"Yes, mother."

"Ron, I'm serious. I have to work with these people."

"I'm just curious, but what exactly does a Quidditch match have to do with magical creatures?" Harry asked.

"It's one of those silly networking things. Supposedly some business bigwigs are here, and my boss wants me to get to know them. They could be potential donors," Hermione said.

"Interesting," Ron and Harry said in unison, clearly not meaning it. She couldn't blame them. This was probably the worst part of her job, and she thought it wholly unnecessary.

The attendant returned with the drinks, passed them out, and left.

Having not seen the boys for a while, Hermione was intent on catching up in what little time she had before the game. She knew once it started, they would be lost. "So, Ron, how are things with you and Lavender?"

"Good, I guess."

"You guess?" Harry said, "Don't tell me you're thinking of breaking up with her again."