1|Cheated

WARNING: I do not hate Ron Weasley. I think that he's a great character. However, for this story to work the way I want it to, there will be a lot of Ron-bashing, and he will be pretty OoC (Out of Character).

_______________________________

THE WAR WAS FOUGHT, HARRY defeated Voldemort at last, and, waiting almost an entire year after the war was over, Hermione and Ron became a well-known couple, having been Harry Potter's best friends and instrumental in winning the war. They dated for eleven months and thirty days.

The reason that they hadn't started dating as soon as the war was over was because Harry and Ron had both been offered places as Aurors without having to return to Hogwarts to retake the previous year like everyone else.

Hermione, however, was not offered a job as an Auror, because at the time, the wizarding world was extremely sexist and very few witches were given places as Aurors. They had to work extra hard to become the wizarding equivalent of a policewoman, and the Ministry wouldn't dream of letting a witch join the Aurors without all seven years of education, even if she honestly did more work in defeating Voldemort than either of the two wizards who were given jobs.

Not that Hermione truly wanted to be an Auror. No, she had other desires for her future. So, Hermione went back to Hogwarts with everyone else. This didn't give her and Ron a chance for dating, but after Hermione graduated from Hogwarts, they got together.

It was the night before Hermione and Ron's first anniversary. The two were going to spend the next day out.

Ron hadn't mentioned anything more special than just walking around town and then eating dinner at a local restaurant, but Hermione was hoping that this was just the cover up, and that the youngest Weasley boy was actually planning a big surprise for her. It was their first anniversary, after all.

Sure, the fanciest date Ron had ever taken his girlfriend on was a picnic on a public beach with kids screaming and running all around and seagulls flocking on their towels, but this was marking a year of them being officially together. He must be planning something romantic.

Hermione was eating out that night, since she had been neglecting the grocery shopping that needed to be done, and there wasn't enough food to make even a small sandwich. She was going to The Owl, a new restaurant that had opened recently in Diagon Alley.

Hermione stepped through the doors of the Owl. The place was crowded, so she had to wait a few minutes before a spot cleared. It was in a small loft that held a few tables.

Hermione had a clear view of the entire restaurant from where she sat. After she ordered, Hermione scanned the room, seeing if she saw anything she knew.

She saw Seamus Finnigan sitting with Padma Patil. Then Hermione noticed Dean Thomas, Cho Chang, and Penelope Clearwater dining together-- it was probably for work. After them she noticed Lavender Brown in a booth with... was that Ron?

No, it couldn't be.

But it was. Hermione knew that it wasn't for business, seeing as Ron had recently become an Auror and Lavender worked for Witch Weekly. There was nothing between their jobs that would require interaction.

Maybe each of them had come here alone and, upon seeing each other, decided to eat together just to catch up. Yeah, right. Ron had his arm around Lavender's shoulders.

Relax, Hermione, she told herself. They dated a couple years ago, it's not like now anything is actually happening between--.

Hermione gasped in shock. Ron had leaned down and kissed-- yes, kissed-- Lavender. She giggled, smiling up at him and reaching up to whisper something in his ear. He grinned.

Maybe she had somehow misinterpreted the whole thing. Surely this was just the first time this had happened, there was no way that their relationship had been corrupt this whole time.

But, even as her mind frantically searched for answers, she couldn't help but remember the many times Ron had blown Hermione off. The first time had been about four months into their relationship, and they had gotten more and more frequent. He hadn't even been there for her when she had returned from Australia, having found out that her parents had died in a car crash.

There were also the few times Hermione had run into Lavender since they had left school, and the other witch had often given her a smug little smirk, as though she knew something that Hermione didn't.

Hermione felt her eyes burning. Blinking back tears, she quickly stood up abruptly and almost knocked over her waitress. Ignoring the witch's questioning of where she was going, Hermione left the restaurant and Disapparated.

_______________________________
DISCLAIMER: Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling.