Chapter 20: Secrets Unveiled

Despite my best attempts, I couldn't find my way into their conversation. It seemed with every remark I made towards the topic was brushed aside as they switched to something else. Neither boy seemed to notice my frustratingly quiet presence as I soon found myself too tired to give a damn about chiming in.

Penn was dropped off first, despite the fact that we passed my house to get to his, and I lived next door. Murphy locked me in as soon as Penn was halfway out of the car door. He went as far as to wait until Penn was safely nestled in his home before backing out and pulling into my driveway, stopping inches from the house.

I got out, ignoring the look her shot me as I put my shoes back on. I grumbled a little bit to myself and then and made my way towards the house.

Murphy rolled down his window and stuck his dark head out the window, "I'm happy you guys are alright."

His hands thrummed against the steering wheel as he spoke, again seeming nothing like the Murphy I had grown accustomed to. It was for this reason, I can only assume, that I turned around and got right back into his car. I didn't even make a stink about taking my shoes.

He watched in awe as I buckled back into the passenger seat.

"What are you-"

"You know I've never seen the inside of your house?"

Murphy's house was much larger than any other house in the vicinity, sitting on a plot of land that could have belonged to ten other houses and then some. It was one of the perks of owning the neighborhood, among other things.

"At least, I don't think I have." I admitted as I tried to remember if I had attended any of the parties he had thrown in the past few years.

We pulled up to the gates, a feature found only at the Thompson house, and paused for a few moments as Murphy rang himself in. The iron gates opened inward, as if welcoming us to a place of unimaginable wealth and splendor. I always wondered why Murphy's father had decided to build his home in our neighborhood, chalking it up to something akin to a king sitting on his throne overlooking his subjects.

The house itself loomed over us, growing grand and grander as we drove up to it. Murphy explained his father built the house and then the neighborhood around it. The houses in the neighborhood were all a good size, all of them were at least two stories but none came close to rivalling the mansion atop a hill. Bruce Wayne would be proud if he saw this, I imagine he was when he attended the benefit they threw here last year for the "Citizens Affected by Super Tragedies" fund Mr. Thompson started a few years ago.

"This is incredibly intimidating, I've begun to regret ever suggesting I come visit your house."

Murphy broke out laughing, "It's a house, there is nothing to be afraid of Wallflower. I swear no harm will come to you if you set foot inside, and even if something were to happen," He couldn't hold in a grin, "I know kung fu?"

Even if I couldn't help laughing at that. "Good to know."

Murphy pulled up in front of the house, right behind a little red car that I couldn't name but knew was fancier than anything I'd even own. He bounded up the stairs, careful that I was right behind him every few steps.

As if by magic, or telepathy, the doors opened as soon as Murphy reached the top step. A young man in a finely tailored suit stood on the other side, beckoning us in. He seemed only a few years older than us although he had a composure that seemed to add a few years in maturity. Murphy smiled and nodded in his direction, so I repeated the action, unsure how else to respond.

The inside of the house was as grand as the outside would suggest, although Murphy seemed at ease. Why wouldn't he? This was his home, he woke up here every morning, walking these halls has been uneventful since the day he was born.