CHAPTER 5

|••• Violet's POV •••|

"Ashley, what are you doing here?" I finally break the silence and voice out the unasked question.

"I...uh..came for fresh air." She shrugs but I can read the uneasiness in her eyes.

"Look, we are discussing something very important so I'd like you to leave right away. Just get lost okay?" Michael says, frustration obvious in his tone. His response makes me gape at him in surprise as I'd always assumed them to be good friends. My eyes reprimand him to which he just shrugs. Meanwhile, Ashley who is probably used to his rash behavior just mumbles an 'okay' in response.

"Listen Ash, we will talk later okay? I am sorry on his behalf but you really need to go." I say politely.

"It's fine, V." She says and leaves without a backward glance.

"Why would you talk to her like that?" I ask him incredulously.

"I have never liked her." He says with a poker face.

"Okay whatever. So, what were you saying?" I ask him.

"Yes right, you remember Vincent. The police took the knife to the forensic unit and the reports stated that the fingerprints found on it were Vincent's. But they were wrong." He says.

"How can the reports be wrong?" I ask him.

"By manipulation. Look, my brother's friend is in that section and I had asked him to review this case personally. He couldn't so this before as his life would be at stake." He says.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"We think that the reports were manipulated and the person behind this is definitely the culprit. I had asked that friend to keep track on that evidence but immediate action on his behalf could increase suspicion so he purposely ignored it. Now that the whole matter is blown away, he examined the case again and disclosed another set of fingerprints on that knife." He reveals the entire story.

"Oh my God!" I gasp.

"We were right all along but now with evidences backing our hunch, it seems like some wicked dangerous ploy." He spats in disgust.

"Let's seek help from the police. We have to reopen the case." I say.

"I'm afraid we can't." He sighs.

"Why not?" I ask him.

"I got a text this morning threatening to go to any extent for buying our silence about this newfound information." He says which makes my eyes widen in shock.

"Show me that text right away." I say and he pulls out his cellphone from his pocket.

*Unknown number* : You keep mum or else your countdown to death begins. Show any smartness and I'll drag you and your family to coffins if I have to.

Holy.shit.balls.

I open my mouth to say something after the shock registers inside my brain but Micheal beats me to it.

"Before you ask me, let me tell you that there is no use tracking this number. This--" He stops midway after noticing my expression. "Hey, what happened? Are you about to cry?" He asks me.

"Sam....I can't let anything happen to him. We have to do something, Micheal." I tell him as a lone treacherous tear slips from my eye.

"Shh, V. I promise you Sam's safety. Nothing will happen to him but we have to be extremely careful." He says.

"Do you think that they are keeping an eye on us?" I ask as I wipe my tear.

"Yes. There is no way they could have found out about me knowing the truth regarding Vincent if we weren't followed. We, meaning you and me are watched at every step which is why we can't risk any stupidity." He says while I nod in understanding.