Chapter 6: Kick Out

Alexander's POV

It is confirmed. Mr. Hemmings is nowhere related to the owner of the gem. Still finding out on how it lands on his hand.

Cornick

I stared at the screen and read my friend's email again. I knew there's something odd. That gem worth more than thirty grand. That sparked my curiosity even more.

With a frustrated sigh, I stashed back my phone in my pocket, then reached out for the remote control at the other end of the coffee table. I sat back, and I felt something underneath me.

Her phone next to her laptop.

How did I not notice it?

I moved it to the armchair adjacent to me and placed the phone on top of the laptop. I settled myself on one end of the couch, then turned the flatscreen on. I skimmed the channel, then stopped when the NFL Football was ongoing.

I placed the remote beside me, then grabbed another beer. Unscrewing the lid, my eyes glued to the screen. A replay game of Jets versus Steelers.

I took a piece of pizza and comfortably leaned back against the backrest. The score is 7 - 4. The Steelers is ahead of 3. I'm rooting for New York Jets of course.

I absentmindedly lifted the pizza to my mouth and took a large bite as I anxiously watched Roethlisberger swung his hand, the ball flew into the air. I sat upright, hoping Le'Veon would miss the football.

"...Roethlisberger pass..." the announcer said, almost not breathing just as I am as I watched the football lands in Le'Veon's blue gloves. "Caught and touchdown Le'Veon!" the announcer cried out.

"Ohh!" I cried out, dropping my back against the backrest then gobbled my pizza.

Just then I felt Clara Bell's presence. Then, she stood in front of my stretched legs, her sweet scent hung in my nose, and I almost tug her on my lap and bury my nose into her neck and inhale her addicting feminine smell.

"I can't see!" I said rather whined. I want her away from me before I could do something that will make her hate me even more.

She threw me a glare as she reached out for her phone, then straightened hastily and sat on the other end of the couch.

She sat in silence and her attention on her phone. Fixated as she thumbed her phone.

I tore my gaze away from her and tried to divert my complete attention to the game, but it was impossible. The voice of the announcers passed my hearing line like that of the wind. And now all I could see was men in white and blue uniforms running here and there, tackling each other, and nothing registered in my distracted head.

"...touchdown!" another cry from the announcer, and just when I was snapped out of my stupor.

"Oh, come on!" I cried out under my breath, then downed the rest of the contents of my beer.

Just when all my attention was back to the game, I heard Clara Bell giggled. And I gaze at her like like a blasted lovestruck fool.

I've seen her laughing hard with all her perfect white sets of teeth in full view, up to her pink gums. Mouth opened wide as wide as it can go, but I've never found it appealing. And now, she was giggling, and here I am like I've never seen her giggled before. I've seen her more than giggling or chuckling. I've seen her laugh out loud, to the point I could see her brain through her wide open mouth.

I can't take my eyes off her. She looked so genuinely happy, and I wished I could make her smile like that. Her face lit up, her eyes glowing. She looked as radiant as the sun today, and strangely, a warm fuzzy feeling spread within me.