Chapter 7

"We must be aware that darkness is coming. We need a Head, someone to look to for direction," Galadriel pointed out for what seemed like the thousandth time. Would these men never get it through their heads that their life as they knew it could possibly be wiped out?

The men continued to bicker between themselves, gesturing with their hands wildly, ignoring the two seats that had remained silent until now. Their voices raised, calling out this fact or that this or that rumor was correct and trying to make sense of all the 'signs'. They couldn't seem to slow down and listen to the wisdom that the High Elf was trying to bring to their attention.

"Enough!" A silvery voice shouted, the figure standing from her throne-like chair, those arguing quieting at her outburst. "Thank you. We have come together to form this council, and all we have done is argue and bicker like small children over things that could eventually destroy our peoples. We need to choose a Head for this Council, and we need to do it before we get any further. Who shall it be?"

"I believe that our friend, Mithrandir, is a good choice. He is wise, he has a knack for seeing the potential in other people, and he is powerful when it comes to the gifts that the Valar have given him," Galadriel stated, feeling that he truly was the best person, or wizard, for the job.

"I am of the same opinion as my Grandmother, Mithrandir has shown time and again that he is reliable, and trustworthy, though you are quite meddlesome when you want to be," Thennil smirked, while the said wizard blushed a little.

"Nay, I will not take such a job, though it is kind of you to think of me," the wizard spoke, puffing on his pipe.

"Why ever not?" Cirdon questioned.

"I like to meddle to much for my own good, among other things, I would not be a good choice."

"Mithrandir-

"Nay, my friend, there is a time and a place for that position, and I do not wish for it, I have never desired power like that."

"Saruman then, will you be the head of our council?" Elrond asked, steepling his fingers before him as he rested his elbow on the table.

"Of course, it would be an honor," the white wizard uttered, though he seemed slightly put out that he was their second choice.

"Then it is decided, Saruman shall be our head, what is the first matter that we must discuss?" Galadriel pronounced, though she was sorely disappointed that Mithrandir had not chosen to take the seat as the Head of the Council, she knew that he would have been the best, even for his meddlesome ways.

"I have heard that Sauron has returned to Dol-Guldor," Mithrandir spoke, a ring of blue smoke floated out and up on the breeze as he blew it forth from his bearded mouth.

"Aye, I have as well, we may have need to actually fight in the near future, the darkness looks to be returning," Saruman stated, leaning forward on his white staff, it's crystal glowing.

Rolling her eyes, Thennil wanted to groan aloud,"Since when has there ever not been an issue with that fortress? The orcs and their smelly wargs tend to make it their home before we drive them out again. This has been happening for centuries, and need I remind you that it was I who did most of that driving out? I have been protecting the people of Middle Earth from East to West for longer than they remember?"

"Lord Elrond, is it really necessary for your daughter to be at this council? She is still young, and does not know the ways of the world, along with her attitude, it does not make for a pleasant conversation." Saruman sighed, leaning back into his seat, rubbing his forehead in irritation. The young Elrondian was granting on his nerves, her insolence is reprimanding them earlier was still fresh in his mind.