Chapter 20: A Friend Outside my Window

As soon as my father dropped me off at home, he argued about how everything has been difficult since I arrived. Closing the car door, he walked towards the house.

"I just don't get it," he shook his head. "Shayla never thought about taking a break before and as soon as you come, this.

I walked behind him, clutching my bag and trying my best not to cry. I couldn't hold much of it in though. He was my father. The father I had never had until now. He treated me as if I was one of his guests, spending the night under his big fancy roof. He opened the door and stomped on his way inside. Amber was sitting on the staircase clutching a doll of hers.

"Hey, Amber," my father mumbled.

 She ignored him and paid more attention to me. I walked towards the stairs but stopped when my dad called my name.

"Hey, make sure you take care of those dishes," he directed his thumb to the kitchen. "The floor is a little dusty too. I'm always sneezing. For some reason, the maid stopped coming. I don't know what you did. The firewood could use some-"

"Dad," I called out gently. I was about to tell him I hated him, but this would only make him madder. He wouldn't have cared, but it still would have ignited the fire between us even more. Robert's words echoed in the air around me. I have potential, and this situation wouldn't be my final one. I heard his words so clearly. "I got it, dad," I stated, then went upstairs to my room.

Once inside of my room, I found sunny sitting on my bed, swinging her bony legs. "What are you doing in here?" I said.

She shrugged her arms then hopped off of the bed. She faced me, but her eyes drifted off, and I could tell that she was a little concerned about something. Before I could ask her what was wrong, she looked into my eyes and smirked at me. 

"Shayla's with that guy again. They were here. Left not too long ago," she walked towards me.

I walked past her and placed my bag on the bed. "That's fine, I guess. She's not here, and that's okay with me."

Sunny stood where she was and raised an eyebrow. "No, Olivia, that's not okay. We're not done with her."

"I am," I said, laying down on my bed. "I want her gone like this. Why be with my father if she doesn't even love him?"

"And I want her to suffer," Sunny smiled. "We can do so much and not just to her, to your father too. I heard his little remarks outside. You need to stop letting them walk over you."

"Well he is my father," I said. "And there's nothing I can do."

Sunny shook her head then tried to run her fingers through her hair but failed because it was so tangled. "Shame. Shame. You let your father treat you like a stranger and his wife treat you like crap. You would even let Megan get away with murder."

I shot her a glance. "How'd you know about Megan."

Sunny smiled. "I can help you. You need it."

I let out a long sigh. "I don't know. I just want to leave things. I don't want to make things worse."

"Worse? You should be getting the respect you deserve. You went through enough."

"But-"

"You. Went. Through. Enough," Sunny said. "It's time for these people to get a taste of their own medicine."

Not wanting to argue about it, I just stared at Sunny and nodded. "True."

"If you need me, at school, or anything," she continued. "Just bring Amber, and I can do the rest from here."

Sunny vanished before I could tell her that I wouldn't need her. I turned on my pillow and reached for my cell phone. Vlad had sent me a picture of him and his new boyfriend, and I couldn't help but smile. They looked so cute. The only thing they had in common was the look of sadness in their eyes. Two boys, hated by their family, fighting their way to be happy together. I saved the picture to my phone then set it as my background on my phone.

"You both are so cute together! I'm so happy for you," I texted Vlad.

"Haha! Thanks. You'd love him, but you would hate his music taste."

"Oh no."

"Yes. He's a Skrillex fan."

"Goodness. Well, can you Skype? Can I call? We have to gush over this! :D"

"I'll give you call later, Liv. If my parents hear me talking on the phone, that'll be the end of me. I'm not even supposed to be texting you."

"Alright, then I'll talk to you later, kid."

"Love you xoxox."

"Love you more."

"Me most."

I let him win that round, but he knew I loved him more. I got up, bored out of my mind and not wanting to stay in bed. As soon as I walked towards the door, I heard something hard being thrown at my window. I peered out of it, and to my surprise, I saw Rose  waving at me. I rubbed my eyes to make sure that I didn't just see things but no, she was still down there. I grabbed my shoes and ran to the side of the house where I met her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. She wore a black shirt and black jeans to match it. A matching beanie covered the back of her hair, exposing nothing but her bangs. I had to ask. "Are you trying to break in or something?"

"What?" She looked at her shirt then laughed. "I was trying to be unrecognizable. Your dad was very upset with me."

I nodded slightly. "Yeah."

"I figured if you couldn't come over then I would just follow you home. My friend drove me," she said. "Specifically, Maddy and her mother. We can practice here."

"We can't go in my house. My father would go nuts," I said.

"Oh, he's here?" She placed her hands on her hips, looking around. "What about over there?" She asked, pointing to the trees.

"Uhm," I looked at the tall trees swaying left and right from the wind. "Will we have room?"

"Lots," she said grabbing my hand while pulling me towards the trees. For some reason, I had a bad feeling about this. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something didn't feel right about going past those trees.