FORTY-TWO: PRIORITIES

Media: I Run To You – Lady Antebellum

Coe's POV

I followed blindly behind Jared's broad shoulder, barely taking in my surroundings enough to recognise where we were heading. Heath was plastered beside me, one hand on the small of my back as we walked.

We passed by men more dressed up that I ever seen them be in this building. People were blatantly wearing bulletproof vests as though it was not out of the ordinary and that I was the only one that was not in on the trend yet.

I glanced up at Heath nervously, wondering why on earth Jared and him were not wearing one as well. There must be a reason why these people were all looking as though they were preparing for war to come to them. If these people who are clearly not as high as Jared and Heath were on the mafia foodchain were protecting themselves to this extent, why weren't my lovers bubble-wrapped with bulletproof vests?

The worry swept my emotions into waves and I stumbled slightly, tripping on my own toes. Heath was quick to grab onto me, and Jared's attention was on me in an instant, scanning my body for any injuries.

I licked my lips anxiously and quickly shook my head to indicate that I was hurt, that I was fine.

Jared's lips pressed into a thin line and he glanced at Heath before turning back to continue down the corridor that we were on. I could almost taste the tension in the air and I prayed hard that I would not pass out from the stress that I was feeling inside of me.

I briefly noted that many of them had handguns strapped to their bodies, some poorly concealed by their outer jacket. The guards that used to stand guard along strategic places in the building were actually holding much bigger guns in their arms than I remembered.

I may not know much about what's going on, but I can guess as much that we are currently not in a good place. From what Heath has shared with us, we may not even be safe within our own people, in this building that the Family owns. Jared's rival gang seemed to have infiltrated into their ranks and honestly, I wondered if we should just lock ourselves up in Heath's apartment and never leave it. Surely that was safer than coming all the way here, gathering with people who might turn out to assassinate Jared or Heath for that bit of territory they were talking about.

"You're here. Took you long enough."

I looked over Jared's shoulder, frowning when I saw Han, the other underboss of the Family, the supposed heir to Father's legacy, standing in front of Jared with his hands in his pocket and a sneer on his face.

His gaze connected with mine and his sneer turned ever more bored, "Did you really have to bring your toys along with you? This is a grown up's meeting, Jared."

Heath's grip on my side tightened and I couldn't help but lean into his body for support. I know that Han didn't like me. He has made it clear all these while, in every meeting, that I shouldn't be there. He hated that I was acknowledged by Father, even though I've done nothing to prove myself. I had no real role in the organisation, unless you count being lover to an underboss and his right hand man an important contributing job scope, then sure. He thinks my entire existence is a joke and I really should take offence that he has just referred to me as a 'toy', but the nervousness in the pit of my stomach is really messing with my pride and I can't bring myself to retort with a sensible and witty remark.

I directed my gaze to Christian instead, meeting his emotionless stare that strangely calm me down some. There was something calming about how consistent Christian's treatment of me is.