FORTY-THREE: UNDERSTAND

Media: Like I'm Gonna Lose You ft John Legend – Meghan Trainor

Coe's POV

It was a crazy whirlwind of a day.

The kind that seemed to pass way too fast, and left you breathless and with a headache trying to figure out what exactly was going on, and if any of it was even real.

It was like I was watching a movie happen before me, only thing, I was one of the main actors. It was surreal, it felt like I could just close my eyes, and wake up to reality, and pretend all these didn't actually happen. Except, this was reality, and I'm already awake. Wide awake. I would know. I pinched myself one too many times, a bruise was starting to form on my forearm.

Once the meeting with Father was over, Jared took us to check on Lewis, who was very delighted to see us, but looked sheepish when Jared chided him for letting his guard down enough to get hurt at all. I of course came to Lewis' rescue right away. It was completely uncalled for, for Jared to berate a severely injured man who did nothing wrong except to survive the unprovoked attack from a rival gang. Come on, the man got shot at. Give him a break.

Lewis was thankful for my intervention. Jared on the other hand, was not amused once again at the exchange between Lewis and I. If the situation wasn't so serious, I would have found his jealousy rather adorable. Except, Lewis got shot, there were apparently rival gang members planted among us, and they are sort of after my life too. How does one exit this game of life that I seem doomed to be killed before I can even get to the next stage?

Speaking of next stage. We officially moved into our new home. The apartment was no more. No more returning to Heath's humble abode with one room and one bathroom, and enough space for you to ride a bike in the house. No more returning to Jared's extravagantly designed double storey apartment that still leaves a bitterness in my mind whenever I thought of it.

A new home. A new breathtaking home. A new breathtakingly expensive home.

Jared was proud of his accomplishment. A house with a private beach. We were literally living the life out of a dozen movies I've watched. I'm impressed, very impressed. Now if only I was allowed to roam the vast space of our new home on my own. Except, not quite. Not when there were crazy rival gang members out to kill me. Not when I had two overprotective lovers that shadowed me everywhere I went. Every. Where. I. Went.

It was adorable at first, then it got downright annoying and now... I've just resigned to my fate that I had two more shadows apart from the one that was casted from light hitting my body frame. It's fine. I've complained enough. I should know better than to be vexed about mere privacy when there might be a hitman on my ass.

I sighed loudly and dramatically as I scrapped the few sunny side up from the pan, placing it nicely on the plates on the table.

"Get off your tablet, Jer. Breakfast is ready." I stared pointedly at him when he looked up from his tablet with a raised brow. He has been glued to that device for the past couple of days, it was starting to get unhealthy. I know there were pressing matters to tend to especially since he had to do some sort of 'spring cleaning', but when your lover is on his tablet half the time, and the other half in his den on the phone, you sort of start to worry if he even has anything else on his mind except work. And yes, he hasn't been badgering me with any physical affections lately either. It was starting to become a concern for me since it was completely out of character for him to be like that.

It was as though he was determined to work himself to death if that's what it takes to get whatever he needs done.

Heath chuckled from beside him as he came around the island and walked towards me with his arms outstretched for a hug. I turn away from him quickly, careful to hold the sizzling hot pan away from my body as Heath's body collided with my back. His arms circled around me, as he took in a deep breath and kissed my neck.