Chapter 19

"What do you mean he's leaving?" I ask Jane later in our bedroom.

I saw his sister out for a walk on my way back," she sighs, her voice almost a whisper. "She was saying that he's leaving tomorrow morning to permanently stay at their London home." 

"Why, what about his university work placement here?"

"He's gotten one at the last minute back in London. He obviously doesn't want anything to do with me if he can't even tell me that he's leaving," she says, her voice breaking.

"Jane," I reassure, placing my hands on her shoulders. "I'm sure this is not his decision. It could easily be his family persuading him, most likely his sister meanly trying to separate you both. Such a pity that he can't speak up for himself and stand his ground," I say, climbing into bed.

"One thing I am certain of, however, is that he loves you," I add. "Don't lose hope."

She doesn't reply.

The following week seems to last for an eternity. It rains consistently for the seven days, making it difficult to get up out of bed and go about the day. I attempt to go for a walk on Monday evening with a large umbrella but quickly succumb to the heavy downpour and chilly air. I spend the rest of the week restlessly awaiting for the rain to subside so that I can return to my favourite activity. With Jane understandably in low spirits I suffer little enjoyment at home, although she tries her best to suppress her emotions.

The major factor, however, making the week drag by is that I long to see Wickham again. We make plans to meet up next week on Saturday in Manchester and I can hardly contain my excitement.

Finally, the day arrives for our first date together. I am wearing Jane's navy jeans which I had to roll up at the waist due to our difference in height with my nicest white lace peplum top, as well as a tan coat, scarf and shoes. I feel waves of excitement as I enter the cafe where we arranged to meet and take a seat at the back of the room.

After fifteen minutes pass from our arranged time, I begin to feel slightly anxious and irritated as to why he has not yet turned up. I continually check my phone for the time and incase there's any word from him.

Following another fifteen minutes with no show, I give in and send him a brief message asking if he's still coming. He replies almost instantly; *Hello Eliza, very sorry I can't make it today, something very important has come up. I know you'll understand.*

"I knew it," I quietly sigh as I type a quick reply before gathering my stuff and walking back towards the train station. I feel disappointed in our failed meeting and slightly annoyed that he couldn't have told me sooner, but I reason with myself that it must have been last minute.

Once on board the train home I ring Charlotte. "Why are you calling me?" She questions instantly. "What about your date?"

"It didn't happen," I moan. "I was stranded like a lemon."

"No way!" She gasps. "He better have had a good reason!"

"He said that something important came up."

"I don't like the sound of that," she observes. "You travelled all the way from Hertfordshire and he can't even let you know."

"It was last minute, I'm sure," I state.

"Hmmm."

"Anyway, what a great weekend this is turning out to be," I complain.

"Wait, I was going to tell you this later, don't worry - I've the perfect thing to cheer you up!" She laughs.

"Which is?"

"Get ready, because we're going on a trip to Rosings Park baby!" I have no idea where she's talking about, but she can never fail to cheer me up.