Chapter 31

"Yo, Kate, look at my masterpiece," Ellie said bubbling in excitement and pride as she held up the handmade toy.

"It's an owl," Kate looked at the toy blankly.

"I'm glad you figured it out."

"And it has got a dick."

Elli's shoulders slumped. "You told me to make them look realistic!"

Kate sighed heavily, rubbing her forehead. Her bandana moved up a bit from its designated place but she had more dire matters in hand, such as making sure that the toys they were sewing up to be sold as fund raising stuff among many other handmade things didn't acquire controversial body parts.

"Yes," Kate threw up her hands. "Realistic, like... not giving a third or fourth eye on a stick figure's forehead. You scared little Mimi, the poor girl."

"Have you ever not seen Percy Jackson, Kate? Remember, his half brother?" Ellie was frustrated now, cutting a piece of cloth in somewhat round shape. Kate prayed for them to not be boobs or something.

"You'll not make sexual organs, Ellie, that's it," Kate declared with finality.

"Don't be silly, Kate, I'm also making pants and camis for them!"

"No," Her voice was cold, eyes firm.

"Argh. Fine, you win. I lose!"

Satisfied, Kate turned back to pierce the threaded needle into her own toy in progress, it was a very cute giraffe.

They were in Mary's Home, perched on a mat on the floor. The preparation of Monday's brunch party was in full swing. While Ellie and Kate dedicated themselves to the task they could do the best here--sewing toys and table mats and stuff like that for domestic use. Some of the sisters were also busy with making handicraft things around them, others were busy in the kitchen baking cupcakes. There were also several volunteers like Ellie and Kate, all came out of love for these children.

Victor had dropped them off in the morning and had only left for work after putting the sacred responsibility on Ellie to keep an eye on Kate.

After her last visit to Dr. Gonnsalves, when Victor was assured that she was recuperating more than just fine, he had calmed down with his nurse responsibility a bit. Kate was grateful. The guy had been after all dedicating almost all his days after her, overlooking his business and his own damn life.

There was, however, a session of radiotherapy she would have to go through after a week, to eliminate the rest of the tumor tissues left in her brain after the surgery. Doctor Gonsalves had declared that he believed it would be the end of her illness, if and until a recurrence happens, which they were told was not uncommon.

For now though, Kate was content that she would be getting rid of the tumor altogether very soon.

Her talk to the Psychiatrist, consultant Dr. John, was even surprisingly therapeutic. The man was old and had this glint of tranquility and friendliness in his ever narrowed eyes that it had been very easy for Kate to talk about her nightmares, and about the melancholy that had once made dying to her a much better option than anything else. And when she had come out the door of his cabin, she was fascinated at the feeling of a good kind of emptiness inside.

"You're not going to faint, are you?" Ellie asked watching as Kate said goodbye to Owen and all the other kids gathered in the hall while the sisters were putting away the handmade products aside in several cartons.

Kate turned to frown at Ellie. "Why would I?"

Ellie shrugged, raising arms and rolling her wrists, her face crunched when several little cracks could be heard. "You are... like... looking exhausted."