21.

I'm not sure if you read the message I posted on my profile but I said something important in it.
The main thing is that updates will be once a week on Friday instead of twice a week because I want to make my chapters longer.
That's all you need to know for now. Hope you have a great day/night!
Enjoy!

C H R I S T I N E

A knock has woken us up, it was loud and rapid. Mathew woke up startled and he glanced at me for a second.

"Stay here." He whispered and I nodded, I was still wrapped in the blanket. I hugged it tightly to me as Mathew opened the door and the cold air come through.

"Why aren't you answering my calls?" A feminine voice said and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Lisa." Mathew groaned and I internally face-palmed. I have only spoken to her one time and it didn't go that well, Mathew hasn't told me good things about her either so I don't know what to expect.

She bragged into the living room and I stood up quickly still wrapped in the blanket.

"So that's what you were doing?" She scowled.

"Her?!" She raised her voice a little and I flinched. Mathew sighed and ran his hand through his hair.  

"It's not what it seems like, we were only sleeping." He said and she kept scowling.

"I'm just going to leave." I cleared my throat and took the blanket off me, I folded it up quickly and placed it on the couch. I headed to the front door and took my jacket off the hanger, I put it on me and wore my boots.

"Christine, wait." Mathew said and I looked at him.

"Let me drive you." He offered.

"No, it's okay. I can find my way home, I don't want to bother you or your mother anymore." I smiled lightly to assure him that it's okay.

"Nonsense, I'm driving you home. Just let me grab my coat." Before I could protest, he jogged upstairs.

"Don't think that you're special to him." Lisa said.

"He's just passing time, he will find someone better, richer and prettier than you and he will dump you without a second thought." She had a sinister smile on her face, we heard Mathew footsteps so she glanced at me and headed to the kitchen.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said breathlessly. He wore his boots and we walked to the garage to get his car. 

He opened the front seat for me, I thanked him and hopped in. He got into the car and started the engine, he backed away from the garage.

"Did she say something to you?" He asked, I decided not to tell him about what she said so I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, she can be a bit..judgemental." He smiled apologetically.

"You don't have to apologise." I smiled lightly.

We sat silently in the car, he drove through the streets of New York swiftly. His eyes never leaving the road and as we near my apartment, I felt more relaxed and relieved. I just wanted to get out of the car. That encounter with his step was awkward and unnecessary, She made me feel dirty and worthless although I haven't done anything wrong. I will try not to let her get into my head. Mathew parked in front of the building and turned his gaze at me.

"I had fun." He grinned and I chuckled at the memory of us dancing.

"Yeah, me too." I smiled, he held my gaze. His brown eyes staring deeply into mine, I couldn't take my eyes off him and honestly I didn't want to. He leaned forward and I sat frozen in my place, I wanted to lean forward as well but everything is holding me back. Him, my job, his mom, my mom, everything is telling me not to lean in but my heart was already head over heels for him and his charms. I rested my forehead on his and inhaled deeply. 

"I'm sorry but I can't" I whispered as I backed away and turned my gaze away from him.

"Thanks for your hospitality." I said without meeting his gaze, he stayed silent. I threw him a small smile, I glanced at him and I wish I didn't. He looked confused and lost and my heart broke a little at his sight. I walked inside the building and straight to my apartment. I locked the door behind me and looked for my mother.

"Mom?" I shouted but I didn't receive an answer, my heart raced with worry and my mind exploded with bad thoughts.

"Mom?" I yelled again hoping for a better outcome.

"Yes, honey?" I heard her voice and sighed in relief and as soon as she came out from her room, I wrapped my arms around her slim figure.

"Hey, Christa, what is it?" She asked while rubbing my back, I pulled away and looked at her.

"Nothing, I just thought something bad had happened to you." I answered.

"I'm okay, don't worry." She smiled lightly and I smiled back.  

"How was your stay?" She asked and attempted to wiggle her eyebrows but she couldn't because she doesn't have any. Her eyebrows fell shortly after she started chemo therapy. I frowned.

"It was good." I smiled lightly at her, I wasn't laying when I said it was good. I just wish that his mom hasn't come and that he didn't try to kiss me again.

I did want to kiss him, real bad but I couldn't. I couldn't do this to myself and if what his stepmother said was true, I would have been broken. And I don't need any more damage to my heart. But I don't think what his mother said was true, Mathew seems better than that, he is better than that.

I spoke with mom for a few more minutes before heading to the shower, I took a quick one. Then, I wore some comfortable clothes and went back to the living room. I grinned widely as soon as I laid my eyes on Jennifer. She was sitting next to mom, giggling and smiling.

"Hey, girlie!" She squealed when she saw me.

"Hey, Jenny." I smiled.

We excused ourselves and went to my room where she plopped on the bed and sighed. Her red hair was in a side bride, she looked tired. 

"Are you okay?" I asked and sat next to her on the bed.

"Yes, I'm good. It's just my siblings has been A-holes lately." She answered and pinched her nose.

"What about you? How was your stay with Mathew?" She wiggled her eyebrows and I sighed.

"It was great, we danced,cuddled and it was a lot of fun." I smiled lightly.

"But...?" She raised an eyebrow.

"His stepmom came and kind of ruined the mood...." I frowned and she raised both of her eyebrows in shock. 

"And he tried to kiss me again..." I trailed off. 

"WHAT?" She cried.

"We were in the car but I couldn't kiss him." I ran my hand through my hair.

"But why? you clearly like him." She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"I couldn't to do it to mom or myself." I looked down at my lap.

"I'm scared his going leave and find someone better." I whispered. I played with my fingers still looking at my lap. I felt pathetic, everybody I knew left me except for Jenny and my mother. I was tired of feeling like a toy between men's hands, I couldn't put myself in another relationship where I don't know where it is going to be headed. For all I know, Mathew could date me for a week and then dump me but again I don't believe that he is one of those guys. But who knows?

"Oh honey..." She wrapped her arms around me.

"It will solve itself out." She said and I nodded.

We stayed like that for the whole night, just talking about our feelings and eating ice cream hoping that it will mend our tired souls.