c h a p t e r s e v e n

-

"You are toxic for me, yet my body still aches for you."

-

"Granger? Yes or no?"
"Sorry what?"

Draco blinked at Hermione before breathing in heavily and dropping his arms uselessly by his side.

"I said, do you want me to get rid of the Boggart or can you be a big girl and do it yourself?"

The girl looked down at her feet before saying, "You."
When she looked up again at Draco, she saw that he somehow became noticeably paler than he already usually was.

"This is the part where your stupid Gryffindor self comes through and doesn't make me do it. Your apartment, Granger, not mine." said Draco exasperatingly.

Hermione stared at him. "Is this to do with Lucius Malfoy being your biggest fear?" she asked and this time, instead of becoming paler, a hint of pink rushed to his cheeks.

"You said you didn't remember what happened in third year."
"I lied."
"Yeah, I figured."

The two stood in the corridor for a few minutes before Draco eventually sighed. "Fine, i'll do it." he muttered, getting his wand out of the back pocket of his jeans.

"Malfoy, it's alright, I can do it." said Hermione, but it was too late because Draco had already opened the door to number 24 and stood face to face with the Boggart.

Hermione couldn't see what the Boggart was at first, but after Draco yelled Riddikulus, he stepped out of the way and there it stood. Draco's biggest fear.

The Boggart was a spitting imagine of Draco from 2 years ago, but Draco had turned it's hair Weasley orange and it was no longer wearing the usual smirk Malfoy would've worn.

Hermione gave out a small chuckle but immediately stopped when a thought dawned upon her and she turned to Draco who was already looking at her.
Hermione took in a big breath and said, "Your biggest fear is yourself?"

Draco crossed his arms and nodded slowly, still keeping a close eye on Hermione. "Not myself physically, its mainly the thought of what i could do. What i did do."

"But in third year, the Boggart transformed into Lucius?" said Hermione uncertainly.
"Things change." he stated bluntly before turning back to face the Boggart, ready to get rid of it.

-

After the Boggart incident, Draco locked himself in his bedroom and refused to come out (even after Blaise tried to tempt him out with Pansy's apple pie).

Instead, Draco spent his evening reading 'Chapter 7: What's yours is theirs' from the Soulmate book because he was sure that Hermione didn't sneak into Malfoy Manor for a book.

Well, it was Hermione Granger so it's very probable, but the protection charms set in the house would've informed him of her break-in. He sat on his bed scanning the pages until he found the relevant information.

"After the age of 16, you and your soulmate may find each other's belongings in the other's possession. It doesn't matter whether you two are aware that you are each other's soulmates, the frequency of this will depend on how close on how distant the two of you are." Draco read aloud.

He placed his head into his hands and sighed before letting his body fall backwards onto the bed.
"Is across the hall from each other close enough?" he muttered, laughing to himself at how bad the situation was.

-

The next morning, Draco was woken up by Pansy's shrilled screams as a result of another nightmare. "I really ought to suggest the silencing charm at some point." he said, burrowing his head into his pillow.

However, after ten minutes, Draco couldn't get back to sleep so at 6:15, he decided to go out onto the communal balcony at the end of the corridor. It was empty the majority of the time and if you were early enough, you would be able to see the sun slowly rising into the sky.

Draco silently opened the front door and padded towards the balcony. His steps echoed through the hallway but it definitely wasn't enough to wake someone up - he was sure of it.

When he went through the balcony door, he was immediately met with a sky splattered with different shades of orange, pink and yellow. Draco walked up to the railing and looked down at the ground below him. Even at six am, the London streets were bustling with cars.

He thought about what it would be like to jump and feel as if you were flying, but quickly averted his gaze to the clouds. Draco stared up at the sky and wondered what it would feel like to be infinite, even for just one day.

"Isn't it extraordinary?"
Draco spun around, grabbed his wand out of his pocket and pointed it at the bushy haired witch staring at the sky, barely paying any attention to Draco.
When he saw who it was, he lowered his wand and glared at her instead.

"Oh come on Malfoy, no need for such a glare." Hermione said, glancing at Draco, the tips of her mouth curving to make a smile.

"You know, you really shouldn't creep up on people like that." Draco said, "They might think that you're an intruder which will result in a hex which most definitely, will not be pretty."

"Oh please Malfoy, you're just saying that to cover up the fact i scared you." Hermione chuckled, staring at Draco.
"You did not! How dare you Granger!"
"Very cunning. A very smart excuse. Very Slytherin of you Malfoy..." Hermione carried on, completely ignoring Draco's clenched jaw.

"Wait 'till my father hears ab-" Draco began, but stopped abruptly when he realised what he was saying. His father was in France and Draco was thankful for that - the further away Lucius was the better.

The distance however didn't excuse Lucius from all the years of emotional manipulation he forced Draco to sit through.

"Excuse me." said Draco as he pushed past Hermione - he didn't even bother looking back. The only thing he heard before he slammed his door shut was Hermione saying "Mal-Draco, wait!" but even that was too late.

-

a/n uploading from spain, i'm such a g 😩
hope you all have/had a great day !💗