Chapter 29

K. Flay - Dreamers

Adrianne

I felt numb.

I forced my eyes open, not used to the blinding light.

I was in the hospital. I was wearing one of those loose gowns, and I could feel a bandage taped over the left side of my face. There was an IV needle in my arm, and I felt my entire body ache.

I look to my right to see a yellow sun set over the edge of the city. The sunlight came in through the window and landed on my arm.

I glanced over to see my mom sitting in the chair next to my bed, her head leaned up against the wall as she snored.

"You're alive."

I looked at the other end of the room to see my brother standing there in the doorway, a glass of water in his hand.

"Lance," I whispered. My throat felt dry.

He came up and hugged me quietly, then handed me the glass of water. I downed it and wiped my mouth before looking at him. He had sat down in the other chair next to my bed, and was giving me a worried look.

"She's been here the whole time, you know," he said quietly. He nodded at her, and I glanced back to see her still sleeping.

I can't imagine how worried she must've been.

"What happened?" He asked me. I glanced back at him, not knowing what to say. Images of Julian flooded my vision, but I pushed them away. I obviously couldn't tell him the truth.

"I... I can't remember," I muttered instead.

He bit his lip, raising his dark brows together. I watched him as he scratched the back of his head.

"The cops... they said that you were kidnapped. That you were..." His eyes started to water as he struggled to finish his sentence, but he blinked them away.

"I'm fine." I swallowed, touching his arm.

"That's not what your boyfriend said."

Reece. Oh my God-

"Is... is he okay?" I asked, starting to feel frantic. I could hear the beep of the heart monitor pick up its pace, and I only felt more worried.

Did he make it? I couldn't remember, everything was such a blur...

"He's fine, don't worry." He crossed his arms.

I felt a wash of relief.

"Where is he? I have to see him."

He shook his head, tugging on his short beard.

"Can't. He's still at the police station for questioning." I knew he was trying to be protective. He would never let me do anything because he always worried about me when we were younger.

I groaned, laying my head back on the pillow. My stomach lowly growled in response and we both glanced down at the sound.

"Your fat ass is already hungry?" He chuckled.

"Oh, shut up," I muttered and smacked his arm. Even though he acted like a jerk most of the time he was a big softy on the inside.

I realized how much I missed him.

He patted my hand, standing up. "I'll grab you something with cheese."

He headed to the door but paused, turning around.

"Your blonde friend is here with some guy in the waiting room. Do you want me to..."

I nodded, smiling. "Send her in."