17: Those Words

Song: What Do You Say?

Artist: Holly Throsby feat. Mark Kozelek

Those Words

I was back in Paris at the working sight for this one hotel's renovations and the deadline is soon. I sat in the front as everyone discussed yet I couldn't focus. What Gabriella said back in New York has bothered me ever since. Clearly if I can't find Julianna there's a zero per cent chance that she'll ever find her. Yet I couldn't get out of my mind as to why she wants to help me. I get that she's committed to work and getting things done but this...

"Mister Clarkson." Nick snapped me out of my senses. I glanced up to see everyone at the meeting staring at me. I cleared my throat then straightened my posture. I glanced up at Nick who sat there with a questioning look. He quickly glanced down at his iPad then spoke again.

"Your approval on everything?" he questioned then shifted his gaze at my iPad. I looked down at all the documents.

I let out a sigh and let myself focus as I read over everything. This was just a day visit to see how the team is going. Last time I remembered I yelled at half of the staff for lack of work. Now looking through these signed papers, prints and graphs it seems like they've buckled up. I was impressed to be honest and with this evidence of work we might have a date.

"So, all that's left is the exterior designing." Someone spoke as I nodded.

"Do we have a date?" I asked looking at the building manager.

"Yes sir, we've written up a few dates." He said quickly going through his file and grabbing a paper. I took it from him and scanned through it. The dates were adequate for before the fall. I handed it to Nick who would check it and see if it fitted everyone's schedule.

From there we wrapped the meeting up. It was our last meeting till the opening, and from now onwards we'd just be keeping contact through phoning, email or skype. Our flight back was only this evening so Nick and I decided to have coffee in the park.

The Eiffel tower was visible in the distance. We were sitting on a bench, cups in our hands and a box of chocolate croissants separating us. The sounds of birds were chirping, people walking past while talking and the rings of bicycles surrounding us as we sipped our beverages.

"How was the event, sir?" Nick asked after a while.

"It was...satisfactory." I nodded then took a sip of my strong coffee.

"Congratulations on winning Servicing Entrepreneurs of the year, I saw an article online this morning." He said. Out the corner of my eye, I saw him taking a croissant.

"Thank you, Mr. Forbes." I turned giving him a short nod. I continued to sip my coffee while looking forward. I found a safe of ducks pestering this one family, rather amusing than wanting to talk. I shouldn't be snorting at the crying toddler who has a potato chip in her hand yet is too afraid to eat because the duck is coming closer.

"I also saw a photograph of your family with the Smith's." Nick pointed out.

"Yep, they're a big family."

"Oh, yes but isn't the rest of your family scattered around the world?" he questioned, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Yes, yes they are. Just cousins and mom and dad's siblings." I said.

"I also saw photographs of you talking to Mrs. Montero and Gabriella." He said, and I could hear in his voice how he wanted to know what happened.

"Yes, her grandmother is a lovely lady, somehow she kept saying I'm just like my father." I pursed my lips then turned to him. "Am I?"