59 ∞ one last dance

Day Fifteen ∞ Friday

THE MAN'S WORDS bounced around like ping-pong balls in the echo chamber of his mind as he made his way back to the show.

No choicerunning out of timemust act soonWILL find her...

He already knew about the time, they'd felt it yesterday. But having some stranger verbalize those fears almost sent him into a panic.

Where are they? He had to find her. He couldn't remember exactly where he'd left them, and there were more spectators surrounding the seated area now. He paused, scanning across heads toward the stage, his heart pounding harder.

God knows, if Ray ever lets you out of his sight, I'll personally wring his neck!

Before Danny could work himself up more, he spotted Ray's head—and between the movement of a young couple, he could see Mickmi's hair just before she spun around and locked eyes with him with concern written all over her face. He exhaled in momentary relief, composing himself for the approach.

"Hey, there you are!" Ray said when he saw Danny reach Mickmi and pull her into his arms. "She was on her way to you, man, but I stopped her. What happened?"

Danny pressed his lips against Mickmi's forehead and looked at Ray, and Nathan who just turned around. Mickmi's hand went straight to his collar bone, gently feeling her way up on his neck.

"Just had to get something off my chest, that's all," he said hoarsely as he felt her intense heat attack the pain in his larynx and Adams apple. "I'm fine now." He tried to smile, but it didn't feel very convincing.

"That something really g-got to you, man," Ray said, studying him. "Not even when— In all these years, I've never seen anything g-get to you like that, so—"

"Intense, dude!" Nathan said. "You gave it to them, didn't you?" The last part was almost drowned by the applause to something the MC said.

Danny ignored that comment and glanced up at the stage where sixteen girls were lined up with their sashes across their chests, Debbie standing fifth from the right. "Thanks, guys, for keeping an eye on..." He trailed off as he met Mickmi's gaze with a thankful smile. "Now we all can get back to enjoying the show. Mickmi and I will take it in from the other side."

He held her close to him as they took their time to excuse themselves through the audience until they ran into Aaron and Jason. Danny stopped in front of them and sighed.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you guys," he said, trying to speak loud enough over the surrounding noise.

"We know you're under stress, man," Jason said.

"Why was he following you?" asked Aaron. "Can't you do anything about it?"

"We know what it's about but—" Danny started, but Jason finished it for him.

"It's none of our business."

Danny sighed again. "Don't tell anybody. Okay?"

Aaron scrutinized him for a while, then looked questioningly at Mickmi. Danny felt her shaking her head in response.

"Okay," Aaron said with a slow nod, meeting Danny's gaze. "It's about your girl, so it's her call. We won't say anything." He exchanged glances with his brother, and Jason nodded in agreement. He stepped to Danny's side, placing a hand on his shoulder and met his gaze, then Mickmi's. "We're here if you need anything, bro. Just say the word."