Chapter 13

Chapter 13

(The amazing Sandra Bullock as my vision of VP Elyana Soto-Diaz)

Mason

"Fuck." I mumbled under my breath as I slammed through my bedroom door and tore at the constricting bow tie wrapped around my neck. I breathed a sigh of relief when I got the knot undone and popped a few buttons on this damn tuxedo shirt. Shrugging out of the designer jacket, I carelessly threw it on the back of the lounge chair, and plopped my ass down on the sofa to kick off my dress shoes. My eyes almost rolled into the back of my head as I wiggled my poor burning toes. I would have loved to peel off the silk socks and let my skin breathe, but I didn't have the fucking energy.

Thank fucking god my day was finally over. I think I've been on my feet for the past three days straight. Coming back from the President's impromptu retreat to Camp David, Jaxon had hit the ground running. The man hadn't stopped moving and shaking since. He was up at the crack of dawn to exercise, then he spent some time with his children, only to move on to meetings after meetings with members of the government and other officials.

Then there were the numerous conference calls, media appearances, and etc. The debriefings with heads of National Security advisors, the Military Leaders and such. It was a constant fucking blur, and keeping the man within my sights at all times was a damn challenge with everyone pulling him in opposite directions. To top it all off, everyone had been in frenzy preparing for the State Dinner hosting the Elizabeth, the Queen of England and her husband Prince Philip. To say I'd been in total awe would have been an accurate description. Like anyone else, I've seen the monarch multiple times on television, but I never dreamed that I'd meet the dynamic lady face to face, ever.

Planning for this event with my team, the local police, the Queen's security ambassador and working in collaboration with the Royal Protection Command and National Security was tiring, exhausting, mind numbing, and any other word that can be used to describe the bone deep exhaustion currently rendering my poor, aching body into utter uselessness was to say the least now that the event had over and done with. It'd gone off without a hitch, no crazies trying to get in uninvited, no drama amongst all the dignitaries in attendance, and most of all no breaches in security protocols set in place.

Everything had worked out as planned, I especially had to thank the President's gorgeous daughters who were his dates to the gala tonight. My chest almost burst with pride watching those beautiful girls, dressed to the nines as they escorted their equally breathtaking father in front of the press. They stood regal at his side as they welcomed the Royals as if this was something they did on a daily basis. The young ladies were the picture of poise and graceful beauty. But I had to admit, that amongst all the glamour and glitter on show tonight, and next to Jaxon's magnificence, it was the Vice President, Elyana Soto-Diaz who stole the show wearing stunning red designer gown paired with killer black stilettos.

The VP had returned from an overseas peace conference trip shortly after Jaxon's return from Camp David. They'd spent almost an entire day with their combined staff members going over the highlights of the conference. It was nice seeing her and her husband, Dr. Marco Diaz again after briefly meeting them when I'd originally arrived in Washington D.C. to take my position here with the Secret Service.

They made a beautiful couple, and their grown children were equally as stunning and accomplished. Their son, Enrique followed his father's footsteps and he's currently completing his surgical internship at Walter Reed Medical Center where his father was on the medical board and also worked as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.

Their daughter, Magdalena is currently in her last year of school earning her degree in Law at the prestigious Yale University. They were both in attendance tonight as well, and both families got on well with each other. I guess when you work in such close proximity, and you're constantly under scrutiny from the entire world. You kind of had to form close bonds with one another, or else the professional and personal relationships with each other within the walls of the White House wouldn't be bearable at all.