44

"Okay... can you tell us what the hell that was about?" Beth asked as we got into the car.

"It's nothing."

"Clearly it's something... Oh, Is it because he was with Nicki?" Devon asked.

I flinched when I heard her name.

"I thought we didn't keep secrets from each other..." Beth said under her breath.

We all were thrown forward as Devon almost passed a red light. Great driving skills.

Ignoring it, I turned my attention back to them.

"Guys, I'm not trying to keep secrets it's just... things are going on right now and I can't tell you about it because..."

"It could affect you?" Beth asked completing my sentence.

I shrugged. But it was true. If I told Devon and Beth that Nathan was blackmailing me to make Dillon go crazy, they would definitely confront him.

I just have to give it some time. I have to talk to Dillon.

"You know that's kind of selfish right?" Devon said sounding annoyed.

I didn't think of it like that.

"I'll tell you guys later! You don't understand right now. If you love me, you'd let me handle it. I love you guys and think you're the greatest friends anyone could have, and any moment- any problem I have- you know I'd come right to you, but... this is different."

They nodded their heads and then we sat in silence as if they were thinking for a moment.

"Okay. But if it gets serious we're going to beat the truth out of you, understand?" Devon said.

I chuckled, but said I understood.

"And if Dillon does any stupid shit to you, I will go back to my plan about super gluing his hand to his-"

"I got it Beth!" I laughed and swatted her arm.

***

I sat on my bed and thought.

What am I being so frightened about? Just do it Cait. Knock on his window, talk to him. Get it over with.

I sucked in my breath, walked to the window. Right as I reached my hand up to tap it, the curtains swung open on Dillon's window and he and I both gasped, frightened.

When we noticed what happened we laughed at our stupidity.

It felt nice to laugh with him again. But I knew I had to explain or that would be the last time we ever laughed together.

"Uh, I have to talk to you." I said.

"Me too." He replied.

"Meet me outside?"

"Yea."

I walked out the front door and saw Dillon doing the same. We met half way and just kind of awkwardly stood in front of each other.

"Want to go sit on my front step or something?" He asked me.

I nodded and followed him the rest of the way to his house.

It was Saturday. I had a whole day to think about what I would say to him, how I would say it and all. It was almost dark and kind of chilly outside. The wind was making my hair fly in all different directions. And of course I didn't bring a jacket. Typical unthoughtful me.

We both opened our mouths to speak at the same time.

"You go first." He said.

"Listen. I know you probably think I am a horrible person. I am. But not for the reason why I was with Nathan-"

His face twisted in confusion.

"But that's because, Nathan blackmailed me. He broke into my house and came into my room, forced me to "date" him again, just so he could make you feel degraded. It's sick, I know. I am so sorry Dillon. I would have kicked him out, called the cops but..."

I readied myself to say this.

"He had naked pictures of me and told me he would put them all over the school if I said anything to anyone. I'm sorry." I was sobbing this time around.

Dillon face turned red with anger, but he wiped my tears and scooted closer to me.

"Why did he want me to feel bad though...?" He asked.

"Well, he said that you guys knew each other in your childhood and... you made his life hell... I don't know if you remember but I don't even care. I hate Nathan so much."

"You're not talking about Nathan Krew." His face turned pale.

I nodded as I looked up at him in fear.

"This is all my fucking fault." He slammed his fist against the porch rail.

"Dillon it's not your fault! Just listen to me please. I'm not done explaining myself."  I whimpered.

He silenced as I continued;

"A friend of mine and I got rid of the pictures. I couldn't handle it anymore. I had to find a way to talk to you again." I sniffled.

"Cait- I-"

"No, listen. I know I upset you. That day you brought me those flowers... I was a wreck. I want you to know that I'm not the person that would just stop talking to you to go to my ex boyfriend that kicked me out after he took my virgini..." I slapped my hand over my mouth.

"I'm going to kill him now." He roared. He jumped off the porch and started to walk to his car.

"Wait!" I cried. "You don't even know where he lives! Let me handle this!"

"I'll find the asshole." He spat as he slammed his car door and the tires spat rocks as he drove quickly out his driveway.