II

Being the newbie in any place is never something anyone would ever look up to. It gives you that uneasy feeling like you don't belong in that place, like you are in a place that you shouldn't be in. It's not easy, it's never easy.

I have always enjoyed being in a place that I knew where does it start and where does it end, and growing up in a small town helped me with that.

I enjoyed walking around knowing who is the Gardener here, who is the florist there, who is the waitress here. It made me feel like everywhere was home. That home doesn't have to necessarily be a building of walls, it just is where your heart belongs.

I knew before coming here that being new to a whole new city, especially in a city like New York, was going to be so hard. Moving from a small town and a small country to a busy, crowded city like New York wasn't going to be easy to get used to. Leave alone being new in a school.

'The new girl,' they will call you.

'Did you see that new girl today in school?' they will say.

'So, you are the new girl?' they will ask.

'There is the new girl.' they will point.

'Oh yeah, there is the new girl in school let's start judging her,' they will judge.

They will stare and they will talk like they have been bored for the last few years and now that you are around, they finally found something to talk about. An object for entertainment.

Suddenly you will find yourself the talk of the school.

I breathed and looked at the building that took place in front of me. A school, they called it. A school for education, to learn new things that would help you live life. But let's be honest here, all this building does is teach you how to read and write at your first stages in it then it becomes useless, and sometimes it becomes a place where people get tortured by other 'humans'.

A place where people gets bullied and judged, and you would barely find anyone who stands by you because everyone would be busy laughing, watching or taking videos on their phones like you are a clown.

Will it ever occur to people that instead of holding their electronic devices, they could maybe interfere with helping whatever or whoever they were filming? What does a person get from a video they filmed of someone suffering? Yeah, nothing.

I reached out for the necklace that hung around my neck and clutched it for, trying to gain any form of reassurance from it, then tucked it in my shirt and sighed. I finally walked to the school doors, and the second I entered, I felt the talk, the stares, but I didn't bother looking at their owner and completed walking. Let them talk.

I was a new face here anyway, they may just be talking about that and not judging, I reminded myself.

Avoiding everyone around me wasn't that hard. I just looked forward and felt relieved when I immediately found the door that had the label 'The office'.

I had to wait for some time before someone finally told me that I could meet the principal. I walked into her office and was met by a beaming woman, who looked too young to be a principal.

"Hello, nice to meet you! I'm Principal Spencer, welcome to our high school!" she said. I managed a smile and nodded for a greeting.

"Have a seat please." I obliged and took a seat in front of the desk.

"As I was saying I'm Principal Spencer, I'm the Principal here- oh wow I just stated the obvious, didn't I?" she laughed and I looked at her blankly, this was going to be a long year, wasn't it?

"Excuse me, I'm not exactly very good with formal talks which probably is wrong because I'm th-" she made a gesture with her hand as if to stop herself. "Okay, enough of this. I just wanted to inform you that if you needed anything you could always come and ask me. If something goes wrong, because I know how horrible being new at high schools may get, you may always come and talk to me. Though, I hope you enjoy your stay here and won't actually face any trouble." I nodded.

"Okay then. Here is the schedule for your classes this year and your locker number and everything regarding it," she said, holding different slips and giving them to me. "That's about it! C'mon, let me escort you to your first class." we finally both got up and went out of the office, "I will have someone assigned to help you around school later on so you would know your way around and all." I nodded again and she went on and on about the school and the students and the teachers and I just nodded, half listening to what was actually being said.

"Here we are, this is your first class which is literature." she pointed to a door at the end of the hall. We made our way to it and she opened it, ushering me in.

"Hello, juniors! Welcome to another year in this school, I hope it's a year you achieve success and become less troublesome." they all laughed.

"Please welcome our new student, Mrs..." she looked at me, "I didn't just forget your name," she whispered to herself then looked at me and I took that as a cue to introduce myself. I looked at all the faces around me, too many people, just too many. I took a breath and said

"Black, call me Black."

~
AN// That moment when you are not much of a talker, so you create your character as a not much of a talker person either....like I don't have it, you ain't having it either XD

What do you think of the chapter so far?