To Kill.

×××
Shadow

I flipped over Don's sword, ducked below Aquaman's punch and barely evaded the stack of crates ahead of me only to be flung aside by Martian Manhunter's telekinetic attack.

Hardly prepared, I held my breath as I was thrown into the chilly water of the docks.

After swallowing a mouthful of water and with the shock slowly wearing off, I realized a bit too late that the sea around me was getting warmer.

Kicking my feet in a futile effort to break past the surface of the murky, I somehow swam past the pair of laser beams heading for me.

Now suspended in the sea, I stared at the "S" symbol on the chest of the hero floating in front of me.

Superman. I narrowed my eyes. Why the hell—

Before I could complete my thought, my mind was bombarded with psychic energy.

The prickling sensations slowly turned painful as my resistance wore off and my body cried out for oxygen.

Shit. I glared at the Martian that had dove into the water watching warily as he put his fingers to his temples. His eyes flashed when he did.

This isn't good! I pulled out my gun immediately and without aiming, I shot at him, disrupting his concentration and finally breaking out into the top of the watery death trap with a large, greedy gasp of breath.

I sucked in the plentiful air with a hunger I've never known, immediately forcing my freezing limbs into a swim.

I had no thoughts that I could out-swim Superman, I just wanted land.

Pulling myself to the shore, I stared at the night sky, panting as I slowly dragged my soaked body into a sitting position, angry, tired and wet.

I reloaded my pistol, replacing the cartridge as I turned to face Don who stood to my right, the blade of his sword resting on his shoulder and a hand left on his hip as he stared me down through his thick pair of sunglasses.

'Give up.' he suggested, walking towards me with Aquaman in tow.

I wish.

The words was at the tip of my tongue just as Superman and Martian Manhunter landed behind me.

I took in a deep breath and pushed my legs to run to the west, only to have Don suddenly appear in front of me with a rope in his hand.

Before I could blink, I had been tied up, with both hands behind my back, and shoved to the grainy floor.

I groaned as my watch started beeping, my body moving on it's own accord as I once again took off in a mad run, my hands working to break out of their bonds.

'Come on,' I urged myself forward, whistling the signal I had been forced to learn as I ducked behind the many shipping containers that littered the area, acting too suddenly for the heroes to attack.

I held my breath, despite knowing I would be found instantly regardless. But I kept moving, making my way to my next target, my arms still bound behind me. They're heroes, they won't kill me.

At least I hoped so.

'Mark, Trevor.' I tapped my watch. 'We have a situation, take care of it.'

I didn't need to explain much.

They knew what they needed to do, I just needed them to stall for time.

I bet Don thinks I'm useless, bound by these enchanted ropes of his.