04

CHAPTER FOUR

CLOUDS covered the sky today and jennie found herself walking slowly.

entering the building, she slowed down her pace even more, feeling her insides burn. as she neared jisoo's room, it made her feel extremely horrible, even a bit guilty- she couldn't do anything to bring the girl back, and a huge part of her felt like she let jisoo down. all those so-called promises, saying she would never let anything hurt her, ended up being meaningless words. a complete lie.

jennie stopped at the door, staring past the slim window, seeing the heart monitor still working.

her heart was beating. jisoo was still breathing. still alive. but why did jennie feel like she was already gone? peacefully laying somewhere high above her, without a care in the world, watching over jennie with a smile on her soft lips.

"hey, jennie."

abruptly being pulled back down to earth, jennie spun around.

her sight fell upon nayoung- a friend she made whilst visiting the hospital each day. the girl wasn't like the others, who would look at her with pity carved into their eyes, sympathy dripping in their voices. nayoung actually understood.

"what are you doing here?" jennie wondered, knowing her cousin was on the floor above them.

"came to check up on you two." she glanced at the closed door then back to jennie, reaching to hold one of her hands, "wanna grab a coffee with me?"

jennie gave one last look to jisoo, "can we get her more flowers?"

"yes, we can," nayoung squinted her eyes, head tilted, "i think i saw tulips when i was last down there."

"they're her favourite," jennie smiled.

"i know."

after coffee with nayoung, the girl made her way back to jisoo's room. with her free hand, as the other was clutching the bouquet, she opened the door, slowly walking in.

her eyes stayed on jisoo; expecting her to move. say something. but that never happened, and she was foolish to think it would. at least, not right then, because it would happen one day. jennie's heart was filled with so much hope now, especially after talking with nayoung and the girl told her to never give up- and she won't.

placing the red tulips into the vase, she then sat on the edge of jisoo's bed, being careful not to knock anything.

gently, she put her hand on the sleeping girl's shoulder, rubbing her thumb over the fabric of the hospital gown. jennie told her girlfriend about her day; how she had coffee with nayoung, how they shared a slice of chocolate cake- jennie chuckled slightly, knowing that if jisoo was awake, she'd probably suggest cake for breakfast every morning.

she told jisoo how they didn't have any yellow tulips in the gift shop, but red symbolized love, and that she loved her so much.

jennie told jisoo that she would always love her.