How the 1% Lives

"You're mental."

"Not the point," Albus said. "Just admit you like Rose."

"I will not admit it because it isn't true. And while we're on the subject, why don't you admit that you like Monica?"

Albus raised his eyebrows slightly. "Okay, sure. I admit that. See? And I'm not busting into flames. The difference is, Rose probably likes you too. Mon finds me off-putting and I have learned to live with that."

Simon rolled his eyes. "Al, your father is Harry Potter. You could get a girl easy if you would just blink every now and then and learn to breathe through your nose."

Albus rolled his eyes. "Oh sure. Let's rely on my dad to help me get a girlfriend. That's not at all pathetic. While I'm at it why don't I just cut a lightning bolt into my forehead and transfer to Gryffindor?"

Scorpius lightly shoved Albus. "Don't bother, Simon. He's happy perving on Mon from afar."

Albus nodded. "You see this is why we're friends. You get me."

The three boys settled into a large table in the library, spreading their belongings across the area. Albus sighed, glaring at Scorpius. "Why did I ever allow you to talk me into taking Arithmancy?"

Scorpius shook his head. "It's easy. You just don't read the text carefully enough."

Albus scowled. "I read the text just fucking fine thank you very much. But it's completely different than the rubbish we learn in class. When am I ever even going to use this stuff?"

"Basic Arithmancy?" Scorpius drawled.

"There's nothing basic about it. You've heard the hypos Professor Vector dreams up. She'll ask shite like 'If you throw a Chocolate Frog from a ten meter drop on a broomstick going fifteen miles an hour made in a tiny village in Russia, and wind resistance is a thing that exists, and you've recently lost about four stone, then how many cupcakes can Pedro purchase with one human soul?' It makes no fucking sense."

Scorpius sighed. "I'd love to complain with you, but I can't really talk. I need to concentrate on Transfiguration."

After several moments Simon sighed and set his quill down with great ceremony. "I'm rubbish at Potions. Scorp, you think you could—?"

"No."

"But I didn't even—"

"No," he responded with near boredom. He was used to this. Scorpius what'd you get for answers 2 and 3? And also 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10? Scorpius I'm rubbish at (insert subject). Think you can read my essay and correct everything I did wrong? Normally he'd be willing to at least help, but right now he was in the zone. Nothing could distract him.

"Um...Malfoy?" A small, feminine, ever-so-swotty voice broke through his concentration.

He looked up. "Weasley! Um...hi." He did something with his hand that might have been a waive. Albus and Simon bit their lips to keep from laughing.

"Hi." She was blushing and fidgeting with her hands. "Have you started that DADA essay yet?"

"No. Have you?" Scorpius had not been prepared for Weasley and he was having a hard time accessing his inner-Slytherin. Merlin have my hands always been so big and floppy? What do I do with them?

She shook her head. "I was wondering...would you want to work on it together? Since...you know...we already had to do the physical part. Together. I mean..." She blushed at the accidental innuendo. Albus and Simon were trying not to laugh at her discomfort, but were sporting extremely impressive smirks.