Epilogue

“Careful!” Vihaan whispered against Kyra's hair as he led her up the stairs. Blind folded, he tried his best to make certain she wouldn't trip on her blue sari.

“This doesn't make any sense, Vihaan!” She frowned.

“I know...” He chuckled before helping her up the last stair.

Kyra was right, it didn't make sense. Their entire life for the past year since they left India didn't make sense. To the rest of the world, Vihaan and Kyra ceased to exist the afternoon they both disappeared without a word; Kyra, neglecting to hand in her resignation to her company or simply sell it, and Vihaan, neglecting to tell his parents of his decision to leave India.

Vihaan knew his family —especially his father— would be greatly infuriated by his actions, but he didn't care. He couldn't risk his father trying to come back into their lives and trying to harm Kyra and so, one afternoon a year ago, he had snuck out of his parent's home and had simply disappeared with the woman he loved. 

Taking the last step up the stairs, Vihaan pushed the front door wide open and pulled the blindfold off of Kyra's eyes. He waited patiently for her reaction, watching as her eyes traveled the empty room that stood before her in confusion. A smile finally settled on his face as she turned to him, her mouth wide open.

“What's this?” She breathed, confusion creasing her face into a frown.

“Our home.”

Silence hung in the room for several seconds, Kyra's eyelids growing several notches as she turned from him and to the room, and back to him again.

“But how —how did you manage to afford this, Vihaan?” It was a mere whisper.

Vihaan understood her question; they left India with nothing but the clothes on their backs and two tickets to New York. It was the toughest decision they both had to make, but they knew it would be too much of a risk for either of them to take anything along with them without Kapoor being able to trace them, and Vihaan didn't think his father had given up on his plan to harm Kyra.

“I did everything I could.” He said. He worked two jobs. It also helped that he had a college degree.

“It's really beautiful.” Her voice was laced with unbelief as she turned back to the empty room. “It's really beautiful, Vihaan, thank you.”

Vihaan couldn't help but feel pride surge through his body as he stood before her. The apartment was nothing like the mansions they both grew up in. This empty apartment, with no furniture in sight, might not have been much, but it was theirs and for that, Vihaan was very proud.

He took a step toward Kyra who now had tears spilling down her cheeks. A smile settled on Vihaan's face as he stared at her; he loved her. He adored her. Much more than anything in the entire universe, he loved Kyra.

“This, Kyra, might not be much, but it's ours and with this empty apartment, we'll begin to build our universe, just the two of us. Perhaps, someday we'll return to India, perhaps not. But wherever you are, I'll be. I'll always be here, I'll always love you. India, New York or the ends of the earth, it wouldn't matter to me because you're here with me.” He said, brushing her tears off with his palm. “I'll protect you, Kyra. I swear to you that I'll protect you.”

Kyra leaned forward, her head pressed against his chest. Vihaan wrapped his arms around her.

“You should know Vihaan, it's not just going to be the two of us.” Kyra said, before leaning back and staring up at him, her brown eyes dancing. “It's going to be you, me and this little one.” She placed a hand on her belly.

Vihaan's mouth fell open in surprise and excitement.

“And together, we'll build our own universe, beginning with this apartment.” Kyra said, before leaning forward and pressing her lips to his.

As Kyra's lips made contact with Vihaan's, he pulled his eyelids shut and wrapped his arms around her, his lips parting to welcome hers. And as he kissed her, he knew he could lose anything but he couldn't lose her for she was his everything.

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

It took quite some time to get here but I'm so glad to finally get here. It's exciting actually. Thank you guys once more for reading and being super supportive.