Chapter 16

"If it was only love, I could leave you. But you have become my addiction, one which I can't live without."

All of a sudden, Atharva had gone back to his old self and withdrawn himself from her, barely uttering a word

He was always tensed and lost in thought. Something seemed to be nagging him but Aahana didn't have any idea about it.

Like other times, she had opened her mouth to ask him if he was okay, but she wasn't sure she could when he wouldn't even spare her a glance.

Aahana was elated when he'd changed, and after her little confession to herself, she just couldn't stop thinking about Atharva and wanted to be around him more often, but their movie night was the last time he'd been relaxed around her. Surely they went to Jay's house the next day, but he was rigid and fidgety throughout the day, and they hadn't gotten any time to talk to one another.

Not to mention the scars she'd seen on his wrist when he was engrossed in painting the wall. At first, she hadn't seen them but when she stood there longer admiring him, her eyes caught sight of the cuts which had healed but had left their mark on his skin. She was utterly bewildered, but she didn't want to make him any more uncomfortable in front of them than he already was, so she didn't question him and by the time they reached home, she was completely off to even say a coherent word.

The next morning when the sluggishness washed away and Aahana got out of bed, everything had changed. Atharva was awfully quiet. In the office, he kept his face buried in the laptop and files. And when Aahana returned home that night, Atharva was already asleep. She could tell because the lights of his room were switched off and his door was locked.

It was very strange because it was only 8:00 PM, and he never retired to his room this early. Why today? And when she walked into the kitchen, not a single thing was out of place. She realized he hadn't cooked. He hadn't eaten anything before going to bed and that thought made her lose her appetite as well.

She couldn't do anything but blame herself. Did she do something to upset him?

But as she recalled the events with Atharva, nothing clicked in her head. Everything was going smoothly, until today.

Was it the horror movie? Was he angry at her for not letting him go when clearly he was scared? Was he angry at her for taking him to Jay's house?

Or maybe he was busy with work and forgot about her?

But that was quite unlikely because either he was giving her full attention or avoiding her. And for now, the latter seemed more appropriate.