Chapter 12: Steam Bun

Grandfather, Uncle Zedong, Min and I took off a week before the start of The Spring Competition. Although grandfather was a humble man by nature, due to the nature of the competition and the people who attends it, he made sure we had proper amount of servants and guards with us.

When we arrived to the Wen Province, I was delighted to see how busy it was. While we were at the gate, Li was showing our seal and paperwork. Sitting on Yun, I could see the busy large market ahead. Because of the big competition, there were many people from all over the country gathering to join the event.

"Mei-mei, want to go play?"

Seeing Min jump down from his horse, I did the same. Giving Yun a soft gentle pat and telling him to behave, I hand his reins to one of horse trainer that Yun grew to tolerate. The stubborn horse will not let anyone but me sit or even touch him - so I was relieved to see him behaves.

"Min, make sure you stay out of trouble" Uncle Zedong was on his horse as he spoke firmly. "Anything your mei-mei wants, make sure you get it"

"I know father" Min rolled his eyes.

I nudged his arm, making him chuckle.

"Min" Our grandfather voice held a hint of warning.

"Yes grandfather, I'll make sure mei-mei is safe. I swear"

  Before grandfather and uncle say anything else, Min and I made our escape - laughing as we run off.

In the busy street, I made sure to keep close to Min. Min - on the other hand, bought a lot of snacks and shared them with me. I was happy because Min would always give me the larger share.

"Mei-mei, here some plum candy"

I looked at the plum candy as a sudden memory of the past hit me. I was never allowed outside the Zhou mansion. Third uncle and his wife always firmly kept me inside, claiming it was for my protection. All a while their children could leave and go as they please. I could remember their laughter of joy as they came back from their usual day of fun outside in the city. Not wanting to remember the past, I quickly followed after Min.

"Mei-mei, do you want that?"

When we were at a small accessory stand, I noticed a jade bracelet. I was a girl after all - jewelry fascinates me. I nodded quietly, feeling embarrassed. But Min only smile and paid for the bracelet before sliding it on my wrist.

"Thank you Min-ge_"

I was smiling happily until I noticed a troublesome scene. I saw a small child my age in rags and completely covered in dirt with long hair in disarray. What caused me to frown was that the child was being brutally beaten by a large man. What's even more disturbing was that no one is stopping him.

"Min-ge" I grabbed hold Min's sleeve.

Min looked troubled as well but he shook his head at me. It wasn't our business, but I couldn't just stand there and pretend not to see the beating.

"Mei-mei!" I could hear Min startled shout as I run off.

I stood before the man, blocking him from the child. I almost got kicked me but the man foot froze half way as he saw me.

"Mei-mei!" Min blocked me and said sternly. "What are you thinking?"

I knew Min was angry that I put myself in a position where I could get hurt. Seeing the child, shivering in pain with blood coming out her trembling lips, I couldn't regret what I did.