Chapter 15: Archery

I managed to avoid Bai Sun and his harem for the next few days. But I could not avoid these people one the first day of my competition. When I entered the archery ground, people had already taken noticed of Yun. White horses were rare and everyone knew the Bai Family were the only breeder of these rare horses. Rarely do the Bai Family sell their infamous white horse and if they do, it's always at a high price. So when people saw Yun, many speculate how a young girl outside of the Bai family, own a rare horse.

"What's so good about a blind horse?" Bao Xiao Xue smirked at me. "Hmph, your family could only afford a damaged horse from the Bai Family"

She purposely spoke loudly so that everyone in the field could hear. Although I did not mind the laughter, I could feel Yun agitation so I bend down and patted his neck.

"All you need to listen to is my voice Yun" I stroke the horse neck. "Only my voice..."

Yun was an intelligent horse so instantly  calmed when he heard me. Ignoring the girl and her gang, I pretended like I didn't hear her. Seeing my lack of response, Bai Xiao Xue left with her friends with a proud smile.

"Mei-mei! Do your best!"

I smiled softly as I heard Min's cheerful voice from the far distant. Happy that I still have a family who supports me, I rode Yun toward the competition field. The archery competition had 3 rounds. The first round was long range shooting. The second round was shooting moving targets. And finally, the third involves the final top ten scorers from the first 2 rounds. Like the second round, the third will having targets - which of  ten competitors will shoot and hit the most targets will win.

Once my name was called for the first round, I lifted my bow from my shoulder. I blocked out the voices from the crowd as I brought an arrow to its place. Yun kept still which surprised many. Every horse would move with the noise and chattering, but Yun kept perfectly still as if it knew his owner required him to be so. Seven bows later, I made it to the second round.

On the second round, the each competitor will be surrounded by four men on each corner of the field. After a call warning, the four men would take turn to toss thin wood planks in the air. The goal is to hit as much wood planks as possible. Observing each competitor, I knew that I had to at least hit 8 planks in order to move on to the next round. The average hit was 6 planks, but there was a few that already are able to hit 7, only 2 so far is able to hit 8. When it was my turn, I rode Yun again to the center of the field. Again, Yun kept perfectly while I reached for my bow and arrow. Eight toss later; I was able to hit all eight and advance into the final round.

"Thank you Yun" I patted Yun's neck, praising him with gentle rubs against his silk mane.

"Don't be happy just yet" Bai Xiao Xue also made it to the final round came up beside me with her smirks. "That stupid horse only knows how to stay still, wait until we are in the field"

I sighed softly as the girl come and go as she pleases. Even her horse was as haughty as she was, trotting away. Again, I had to patted Yun, knowing well he's not happy with the words spoken about him.

Soon ten final competitors were on the large opened field. There would be a total of 7 releases of planks which could be made in any area of the field. This forces all of us to move constantly. Whoever shoots down the most planks wins. So when the call to start begins, everyone rushed off on their horses. I had been startled by the sudden rush that people watching had even laughed. But the laughter stopped when Yun moved. Fast like the wind, Yun white mane sparkled under the sun.

With a smile on my face, I reached for my bow and arrow as the first release was made. From Yun's speed and our current position, I was able to hit the first plank. As soon as the second release was made, Yun turned and head directly to the area. Even though Yun was blind, his senses were amazing. His hearing, his sense of smell, his intuition, and his intelligence makes up for the sight he was born without.

I was laughing and having fun unaware that my smiles and laughter surprised the observers. After the fourth release, Yun was already in position and I hit more than half of the planks released in the sky. By the final release, Yun had brought me to the man who was about to release. He had been so startled that he tosses the plank up. I waited until it reached a good distant in the air before I shot it down. When I was done, I saw that the other competitors were staring at me with open mouth. I completely dominated in the final round without realizing it.

"Excellent! Excellent!"

The archery master in charge of the competition came out to the field, laughing as he was looking at me and Yun.

"Miss Fa Wei Lan wins"

Even through the crowd cheered, I could hear Min's laughter.