Chapter 5

Keegan's POV

"Do... Do you want to be my partner?"

I crossed my arms as Christian looked at me, his eyes almost hopeful. Does he really think I'll partner up with him? After what happened earlier? No way. I opened my mouth to tell him that when the coach came over. "What's going on? Did you get a partner, Christian?"

"Well, I asked... Er... Him to be my partner."

"Did he say yes?"

"Hasn't responded, sir."

The coach leaned down to me, glaring. "Well, I'm sure he wouldn't say no. Would you?"

I sighed. If I say no, chances are my grade will be falling even lower than it already is. "No, sir. I wouldn't."

"Good. Now then, line up with the others."

Christian looked triumphant, taking the lead over to the line of partners. His long strides caused him to leave me behind, and I had to run to catch up. When he turned at the line, looking back at me, he seemed to realize what happened. I wheezed my way over to him, panting heavily next to him. "... Sorry." He said.

"Yeah, whatever." I mumbled back.

His brows furrowed, but he said nothing.

The coach led us through the basics of throwing. Where to hold it, how to stand, how your arm moves, how your legs move, how much force to use; it droned on until I was sure it was the end of the class. Turns out, it had only been five minutes, but still.

Christian jogged to the opposite line, and we began. I started, tossing the football lamely and receiving snickers from Nick and his gang. The coach shook his head, writing something down on his clipboard.

I walked over to the ball that had fallen ten feet short of Christian, moping back to the line. Once more, I failed the throw. This is why I hate sports. They expect me, with my short, small, weak frame, to throw like Christian or Nick. They grade me based on what the football team, a group of trained athletes, can do, comparing that to my terrible throws. Honestly, everyone and everything in this high school revolves around football.

Christian came over, bending down to grab the ball. "Do... Do you want me to throw?"

Sure, show me how it's done. Make sure to really show off and remind me of how terrible I am at sports. After all, you are the Christian Nelson.

Instead of saying this, I simply nodded. Anything to get out of throwing it, even watching Christian best me. Christian went back over to his line, putting his feet firmly on the ground. The coach came over to watch, excitement in his eyes.

Everything seemed to stand still as Christian lifted his arm back, and chucked the ball. The ball soared, spinning beautifully and arching through the air. Of course, I wasn't as impressed when it landed. Right on my face.

The impact knocked me back, pain exploding and stars running across my vision. Darkness took over as I watched Christian and a few others running to me. Well, just Christian and the school nurse.

---

I awoke in the infirmary. Unsurprisingly, my head throbbed with pain, and I felt an ice pack bandaged to my face. The room was quiet, save for the soft clicking of the nurse's computer keys.

The nurse and the Janitor were my two "friends" at the school. Mainly because they are the only two that do their job, and I happen to always be interacting with them. I sat up, groaning, and heard the keyboard going silent. A chair scraped against the floor in a hurry, and a figure pushed back my curtain.

I expected to see the nurse, but instead found myself looking right at Christian. He had this guilty, sad, worried look on his face. "Are you okay?!" I nodded slowly. Christian gave a sigh of relief. "Thank God... Um... Look, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to throw it that hard, and I wasn't aiming for your face, I just-"

"I get it. I'm short and weak."

"No! That's not-" Christian scrambled for words, his face going pale.

"Listen, you don't have to keep up the act. I know the football team doesn't like me. You don't have to show it off. Just, go chuck footballs at someone else."

Christian looked defeated, getting up and leaving. He glanced back every few steps, waiting for me to call out to him. Instead, I picked up the school phone beside me, dialing Josh's number. "Hello?"

"Josh? Can you come and get me?"

"... Of course. Be there in a few. Hang tight okay?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

I clicked the phone off, looking up at Christian who stood by the door anxiously. "What do you want?"

"Um... Who was that? On the phone?"

I gave him an exasperated look. "Josh. My brother. The one that picked me up yesterday."

He looked all sorts of relieved by this, and finally left, muttering a final apology over his shoulder.

Luckily, my book bag and notebooks had been brought to the infirmary​, and sat beside my bed. Josh came in a few minutes after Christian left, bursting through the door. He ran over to me, inspecting the now deep purple bruise on the side of my eye. Wincing, he growled out, "Who. Did. This?!"

I shook my head. "It... It was an accident. During gym."

I know I was standing up for Christian, but it was better than telling Josh everything. I don't want him to have to worry about me 24/7. He has a girlfriend, and a job. He shouldn't be held back because of his troublesome little brother.

We traveled home in silence, and I worried that Josh might find out that it wasn't just an accidental football mishap. But, he didn't say anything else to me, other than, "make sure to ice that bruise to help the swelling." After that, he locked himself away in his room.

That night was one of the worst sleeps I've ever had. I couldn't lay on my right side, because of the bruise, and it would throb when I lay on my left. In the end, I got no sleep. All I could think about was Christian, scowling as the same thought came up over and over again. If you don't like me, why are you trying so hard to know me?

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait, I just got back from my trip. As a treat for waiting, I will do a double update on all stories, including this one, so stayed tuned for the next chapter of Boyfriend Shirt which will be published in the next few hours. Once again thanks for waiting and I hope you enjoyed the update!