Chapter 21

I couldn't help but compare Carolinas palace to the palace. It wasn't the same. I originally thought that once I got to see the palace my family now lives in, that I would compare it to my old home. But back than it was different. I don't care where I am. If it's not with Maxon, it's not where I want to be. And he's at the palace. Therefore this palace isn't good enough.

I have been living in compete agony. Not just because Maxons gone, but because of the way it makes me act and react. I've been treating my family so badly. They're not crowding around me and demanding why I'm so sad. They understand. They just want to know if I'm okay. And instead of saying no, I've been saying leave me alone.

When I showed up on the huge shiny driveway of Carolina Palace, I was a mess. I was wearing the same dress as I had worn two nights before, when I confessed my love for Maxon. And then broke it off with him. The dress was crinkled and stained, but it was the best looking thing about me. My hair was ratty and unbrushed. It was wet and then air dried till it was a bit crunchy. My eyes were red and puffy, and there were tear stains that were left from two nights before. Than new ones from one night before. And fresh ones from  that day. Let's just say I was a not so hot mess.

The guards opened the door and literally almost arrested me. I would of been wallowing in my own pity in a cell if Kenna hadn't been strolling the halls. When she saw me her eyes widened, she called out for a guard to find mom, and she embraced me. She murmured in my ear 'what's wrong' and all I could croak out was 'maxon'. A maid took me to a room they designed for me and spent two hours in silence fixing me up. I took a long bath were she spent her time restoring my hair to its former glory. She must of used a pound of makeup to get rid of the tear stains and puffy eyes. She sent my dress to the laundry wing where I'm not so sure they'll be able to fix it.

That was a month ago m. Ive barely moved from the bay window that sits in my room since than. My mom or May or anyone will bring me food. I'll only eat it when the pain in my stumuch feels like too much to bare. They think I'm overreacting. They won't say it out loud but they don't think this is worth it over a guy. But I'm not being overdramatic. And I'm not depressed. They'd understand if they were in love. And they are. But they haven't lost the one they love.

~oOo~ Maxons Pov

The school is empty without America. I was forced into this school by my parents and the only reason I stayed was her. But without her I can't find any will to leave.

It's been a month. Marlee won't speak to me. Celeste won't speak to me. Prim and Avery won't speak to me. Delaney and Viveca are the worst. They're not flesh and blood but they're her relatives. So if America won't be here to hate me, they're doing it for her.

Your probably wondering why I haven't gone after her. I know she's in Carolina. I know she is at there palace. Delaney said I couldn't. It's a long story.

She came up to me in the halls the Monday after the whole America, Jacquelyn thing. The first thing she did was slap me across the face. It stung. Not as much as America leaving.

"I can't believe you!" She screamed.

I was taken aback

"Are you stupid!" Delaney yelled. "You know how America acts around you. Cuddling up to you. Kissing your cheek lovingly. Practically hanging off your arm. That's all girlfriend stuff! So didn't it at all seem a bit suspicious when Jacquelyn was doing the sane thing!"

Jacquelyn chose that moment to turn down the hall. She gasped as she heard her name. "I'll just go."

"No. you stay," Delaney hissed. She turned back to face me. "What do you have to say for yourself?"