Chapter fourty

Dilating pupils

Klaus woke up with a gasp, his lungs desperately trying to replace the breath that was lost before

Klaus woke up with a gasp, his lungs desperately trying to replace the breath that was lost before. Ava's hands had dropped from gently brushing his hair down- to her sides, anxiously waiting for his reaction.

His gaze immediately flickered toward the broken shackles and then to the girl muted next to him. She smiled slightly but it faltered at his anguished expression.

"You recover fast, but they're gone." Esther muttered as she leant against the wall with an eyebrow cocked.

"I compelled you to tell the truth, not state the bloody obvious!" Klaus yelled at the woman before his gaze landed back to the oconnell.

"And why aren't you gone?" He snapped, his eyes narrowed toward the only girl okay to stay with him.

"I wasn't up for hauling your tremendously heavy body out of the this room to then be bombarded by a hoard of witches!" Ava deflected, her irises full of disbelief at his brittle attitude.

"So you chose to stay with a witch known for her ambiguous belief to kill all her children and justify it as nature; Instead of fleeing to safety. after all, you are not destructible like I Ava." Klaus retorted, his voice sharp and laced with poison.

"Still, you're mother has nearly killed you how many times? You wanted me to take that risk?" She shot back, raising to her feet with a quick scuff of her clothing.

"Whilst you two quarrel over meaninglessly juvenile things, your brother, Niklaus, is surrendering his thoughts to Dahlia." Esther observed as she sunk back into the darkness.

Both of her visitors shot her a glare before a hand was wrapped around avas waist and they had vanished from the serpents sight.

It was only seconds later that the pair materialised within the compound. Ava's hair tangled in the knots formed from the transporting wind, still bewildered from their move.

"Don't leave the compound, love." Klaus soothed as the girl stumbled from his grip. She furrowed her eyebrows at his words, glancing around for any their form of life.

"Why are we here nik? Where's Elijah and Freya?" Ava questioned, her eyes so round and innocent; the shade reflected the ocean.

Klaus stepped closer, his hands finding the warmth of her cheeks to tilt her head upward. His pupils dilated and undilated as red veins sunk in his skin.

Ava knew what was happening before she could stop it, she could already feel the effect before the words were spouted.

"Do not leave the compound until i come back." And as the words sifted through avas mind, klaus had vanished.

*****

Ava was furious, she knew she had been compelled and albeit that she tried to pass the barrier several times, she knew it was impossible.