Part 1 (Flashback)

Hello! New update as promised! :)

1) Just a brief synopsis of the future updates: These next three chapters (starting with this one) will be Rory's flashback from the previous days. This particular chapter starts out on Day 22- during the meeting with Julian. The next chapter will be a flashback from Day 23. The third chapter will be Day 24. After that, the story will continue as normal until Day 30. I hope this makes sense, but if not- just message me and I will explain again in the update tomorrow night.

2) I know there hasn't been much of the baby, however, I will add more in during the end chapters of the book. Also, when I go back in to edit (with the help of my awesome editors), I will add more baby scenes throughout the whole book.

3) Please don't feel discouraged if I don't answer your messages because simply get too many to keep track of all of them. However, I do try my best to answer as many as I can. 

If you really need to get in contact with me- email, twitter, and tumblr are your best bets. 

Thanks for all the support!

Love you all!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flashback to Day 22

Rory's POV

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Julian laughs awkwardly. "Where do I even start?"

"From the beginning."

"Right..."

 His eyes roam around the bakery for a while before settling on me. "I'm not a bad person you know."

I fold and unfold my hands impatiently. "How do you know Kale's dad?"

Again, he glances around without sparing me a glance. "I-I may have used to work for him."

"Yes or no, Julian. There is no may.

There's a long pause, a sigh, and then the answer: "Yes."

My heart drops a little. I mean I was expecting it but it still felt weird hearing him admit it.

"Oh."

"I swear it's not as bad as it seems-"

"You keep saying that!" I whisper-yell. "It doesn't change the f-"

Julian cuts me off, "I only used to track them down Rory-"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, that makes it so much better."

"I never knew what Robert's 'business' was or what the girls were for- I never asked."

"You weren't even a little bit curious why he was asking you to look up information about random girls? Not even a little bit?" I question in bewilderment.

"I was but not enough to ask what was going on."

"Bullshit." 

"I'm serious! Kale's family wasn't the only one Robert threatened- he said he would go after mine as well."

I furrow my eyebrows. "But why even get involved in something like this in the first place? This underground business?"

There is a long pause as Julian tries to form his words. 

"There," He finally says, "There will never be a good enough reason to that question, but I guess the simplest answer would be loneliness." Sighing, he continues. "I was so lonely, Ree. I had parents who left me for days and no siblings... I guess Robert and his group made me feel like I was important."