55.1: East of Eden

Warning:

Rated 'S' for 'Sarcasm'

The chirping of a bird makes me rustle on the ground

The chirping of a bird makes me rustle on the ground. My heavy lids open to find myself lying under a tree. Sunlight escapes in patches from the branches, as I elbow my upper body up.

Am I in a dream? I remember tossing and turning in bed after eating with Ms Bragge...

I'm in some sort of a forested field, with only wild fruit vines accompanying me. The sunlight through the trees draws dark patches on my face. My blurry gaze focuses as a tall man paddles through the stray, and walks back and forth with his arms behind his back underneath a tree. There's also a bed of lilies and white chrysanthemums near the tree.

Lilies mean 'innocence', while white chrysanthemums mean 'truth'.

His restrained colour contrasts his raven hair, which reflects off the light. He takes a pocket watch out of his fitted blue suit and taps his lips.
The man's soft features give him a boyish look, despite the maturity of his cold attire.

He looks at my direction, and I try to lower myself into the mountains of fallen leaves, even though that won't camouflage me. He isn't able to focus on any particular spot and shakes his head dismissal.

Okay, thank God he can't see me.

"Dannoso!"

He brings up a smile and welcomes the blue eyed woman, maybe in her early twenties, coming near him.

Dannoso...

She's wearing a periwinkle blue dress with a white cloak draped over her shoulders.

The woman gives Dannoso her hand which he lightly touches with his lips, and then fondles his thumb on.

She is the daughter of Mrs Marietta Dannoso Maleece, Mother's dearest friend before her shifting to Italy.

Meredith's parents?

What they say next doesn't translate to my ears, as I sit up. Their conversation consists of Marietta giggling and Dannoso listening to her with curved lips.

After a while, Dannoso produces a small velvet box from his coat and gives it to Marietta. Her jaw hangs open as she gapes on it. Seeing her shock, Dannoso takes the ring out of the box and slides it into her left ring finger.

The ring somehow puts her into motion as she grabs Dannoso by his shoulders and kisses him on the lips.

Looking away from their intimate moment, I pay attention to the shadows of the leaves swaying back and forth with each stroke of wind.

"I expect you at Father's study by the morn, and now, I have to go tell Estelle of the proposal."

Yep, they're Meredith's parents.
Estelle was her mother's friend.