Chapter 26: The Difference Between Gold and Coal

As the soft sweet voice of the 16 years old girl echoed gently, her voice carried through the field. Some were envious at the lovely sounds of her voice - many were moved deeply by it. The lyrics was a song poem - but no one ever heard it before, thus letting them know it was the young beauty's original.

                In a large tent with a family emblem of a silver and black tiger sat an old woman in a dark purple robe. Sitting beside her is a young man in black and a young woman in a white veil and a light purple dress.

"That child has grown lovelier each time I see her" The elder woman laughed softly as she opened her eyes, after enjoying the gentle voice singing the stirring melody.

"Grandmother knows Wei Lan?" The girl, Wang Li Xia was surprised when she heard her grandmother statement and saw the delight in the elder woman's face.

"Of course I know, Fa Wei Lan, the granddaughter of Fa He Long" The Elder woman smiled as she looked at the young girl in dark blue, smiling and singing as she look at her cousin who accompanying her with the Zheng harp. "I look forward to her performance. She does very well every year"

"Grandmother comes every year to see Wei Lan?" Li Xia was again surprised.

"Well, at first it was just to see some old friends... now I guess it's true" Elder Wang laughed softly and said, turning to Li Xia, but she then noticed her grandson unusual silence as he watched the young girl in the center of the green field. "Not that I don't mind my grandchildren company, but I am curious as to why you two are here? I thought these type of events aren't of any interest to you"

                The elder woman casually glance at her devilishly handsome grandson sitting at her right.

"Wei Lan saved Li Xia the other day" Li Xia smiled as she watched Wei Lan had finished and gave a graceful bow to the cheering crowd. "Li Xia heard Wei Lan competes in the Spring Competition so she wanted to go see"

"Umm... is that so... I heard about that Zhou Guan." Elder Wang spoke with her usual casual tone. "I'm surprised you did not cut off his arm"

"Wei Lan asked for mercy for Zhou Guan" Li Xia answered softly.

                Elder Wang turned to look at Wang Feng again and turned back to look at Wei Lan with a small knowing smile.

"Oh, I have forgotten that Fa Wei Lan is still related to the Zhou..." Elder Wang continued nonchalantly. "Good thing Fa He Long is the one raising the girl, or else a precious treasure will be destroyed in the hands of those who don't the difference between gold from coal"

                Li Xia nodded her agreement while Wang Feng had not said a single word. Instead, he kept silence and watched the girl in dark blue walking off the field and smiling at her older cousin. His hands suddenly fisted against his lap. The cheerful Fa Min placed a hand on the Fa Wei Lan's head, rubbing it tenderly. Wei Lan laughs while taking hold of Min's wrist with her two small hands. Unconsciously, Wang Feng eyes went blazing as he glared at Fa Min.

"Wang Feng, you know Fa Min well don't you?" Elder Wang kept her tone neutral despite the amusement in her eyes as she long noticed her grandson interest. "Fa He Long is quite protective of that lovely granddaughter of his. It's quite well known around here... He Long has Min watched over Wei Lan like a hawk since they were children. But since you and Min are in good terms, it shouldn't be too difficult if you asked Min for a few moments with his beautiful mei-mei"

                Only that did Wang Feng eyes went back to normal - his hands no longer in a fist. Elder Wang held back her laughter and turned to watch the young Fa siblings, walking to their family tent without any realization that they were being admired by many. The most endearing and troublesome quality of this Fa siblings is that they are completely unaware of their charms, beauty, and impacts they have on other people. Because they were raised humble, their thoughts were too.

"Really..." Elder Wang sighed, pleased and troubled at the same time. "That He Long raised those two very well... It makes other envious"

                Li Xia and Wang Feng had a small smile on their face as they watched Fa Min and Fa Wei Lan went into their family tent.

"If Fa Wei Lan can be my granddaughter-in-law" Elder Wang sighed softly. "It would please this old woman's little heart"

                Li Xia covered her lips and suppressed her laughter at her grandmother's obvious tactic. As Li Xia looked at her brother and saw a small grin on his face, she realized with surprised that her brother didn't seem to mind. In fact, he looks quite pleased with his grandmother's words. Seeing her brother's attention was directly at the Fa Family tent, Li Xia understood that his interest was genuine. Her cold blooded brother who never show interest in anything or anyone, is actually smiling. Amazed, Li Xia turned to look at the small figure in blue within the Fa Family tent. The petite figure stood and bowed gracefully before her grandfather, who was sitting at the table. Li Xia couldn't help but smile.

Wang Li Xia didn't mind her brother's interest because she herself liked this type of person - kind and very cute.