Chapter 34: No Use Hiding

When we reached the capital, I was amazed by the grand golden gates. There were dozens of soldiers guarding the gate that was 10 time the size of Wen Province gate. The scale of the walls made everyone look tiny.

We were standing in the long line as I watched the soldiers checking everyone before entering the city. Judging from the amount of people before us, I had thought it would be hours before we could cross through the gates. But then one of the soldiers spotted us - or rather, spotted Fa Min and two of soldiers on their horses suddenly rode up to us.

"Master Fa Min, please enter to the city. You do not need to wait in line"

                I was surprised. I didn't know my older cousin was known in the capital. When he gave me a playful wink, I couldn't help but giggle. As soon as we pass through the gate, I was once again filled with awe at the large wide street. There were so many people and the buildings look so much bigger than any of the provinces I've been too.

"I told you it was big, busy and loud" Min chuckled.

                I could only nod my head. Those really were the exact words to describe the capital.

"Because father and I comes to the capital often, we have a mansion built several years ago" Min said as he rode beside me. "It's not as big as the Fa Estate in Jing, but we should be comfortable for a while"

"Min-ge, you don't have to worry about Wei Lan"

                Min smiled and patted my head. When we arrived to the mansion, I saw it was indeed a lot smaller than the Fa Estate in the Jing Province. But it felt right - the mansion had the same humble appearance and a similar large wooden sign with the character "Fa" engraved on it.

"Come on, the horse stable is in the back"

                After settling, cleaning and feeding the horses, I patted Yun's neck and told him to rest well. Li, along with several other servants that came with us from Jing Province, went to work around mansion. I was about to help clean the bedroom when Min took my hand and lead me outside.

"Where are we going Min-ge?"

"Play"

                I laughed softly and shook my head at my playful cousin. Before we pass through the front door, I could hear Uncle Zedong telling Min to take care of me. Min rolled his eyes while I smile. It felt nice to be treasured by your family.

"The capital has the best plum candy"

                I walked beside Min as he showed me around the main street. After buying a stick of candy for me, he continue show me the best places in the capital. Just has he been showing me one of the elegant bridges ahead, we heard thunderous sound of hooves. Turning, we saw a large group of men in black riding large horses down the street. In the front center was Wang Feng sitting straight and tall on his magnificent black horse. I quickly hid myself behind Min without thinking - hoping that the general has not spotted me.

"Your family has arrive safely to the capital"

                I could hear Wang Feng voice close to us as he jumped off his horse to greet Min.

"We arrived just a moment ago, its mei-mei first time in the capital so I'm showing her around"

                Hearing Wang Feng soft chuckles, I felt my heart skipped. I pinched Min's back - upset that he exposed me. Really, I want to look at Wang Feng but was afraid to do so.

"Come on out Lan, it's no use hiding"

                I turned bright red and pinched Min's back again, telling him without words to do something.

"Mei-mei doesn't like stranger" Min smiled. "I hope Wang Feng understands"

"Stranger? Lan and I are no longer strangers"

                I was so red I knew I look like a tomato.

"Y_ Young master Wang is joking" I said nervously, still unable to face him. "And please, it's only proper than young master address Wei Lan as miss or_"

"Lan, step out and look at me when you speak"

                He sounded so serious that my heart nearly jumps out of my chest. After a moment, I gave a soft defeated sigh and stepped out from behind Min. My eyes lifted slightly to see his soft eyes and smiles. When he stepped forward, I took 4 steps back.

"Min" Wang Feng suddenly turned to my cousin. "Let me speak with your mei-mei for a few moments"

                Min was surprised by Feng sudden request. Min don't think this guy ever ask for anything - in fact, he would just do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. This is the first time he's asking and for Wei Lan no less. Min looked at me and I shook my head no with pleading eyes. Chuckling softly, he pointed to the restaurant nearby.

"Mei-mei, there is delicious pastries in that restaurant. Their tea is quite good too. You should go with Feng and talk for a bit"

                My eyes went wide in shock. Surely, my ears are deceiving me. My cousin isn't letting this guy spend time with me like this.

"Your brother promise he'll be nearby"

                I shook my head profusely but Wang Feng had already grabbed my hand and led me toward the restaurant. I was so stunned that I couldn't even call out for help. How could my own cousin gave me up to the wolves?

Fa Min you traitor!