Episode 3 - Budding Feelings

Author's Note: Riverdale, it's plot, cast and characters do not belong to me. Only Diana and Daniel Kennedy do. Everyone is 16 and starting their Junior year in this story.

PS. Please fave and/or review each chapter. Positive feedback and suggestions and ideas are always welcome.

------------------------------

Guilt, innocence.

Good, evil.

Life, death.

As the shadows around Riverdale deepened, the lines that separated these polar opposites blurred and distorted.

"I'm guilty." Cheryl said in Biology class. But of what?

------------------------------

"To clarify, I didn't mean I was guilty of killing Jason. I loved him more than I do myself. But I am guilty of lying about what happened on July 4th." Cheryl explained to Principal Weatherbee and Sheriff Keller.

"The autopsy puts his death about July 11th. When was the last time you saw your brother?" Sheriff Keller asked her.

"It was July 4th. I don't know what happened the week after that, but..." Cheryl recounted.

"Cheryl, in your own words, what happened at Sweetwater River?" Sheriff asked her.

"The plan was bananas, even for me. Jason wanted to leave Riverdale and never come back. He said he wanted to be with Diana forever. He asked for my help to stage a tragic accident, so that our mom and dad wouldn't come after him. Our story would be, we went for an early morning boat ride, and the boat tipped, and capsized and Jason drowned. In fact, we made it to the other side dry as bones. We said goodbye on the Greendale side of Sweetwater River. He promised he'd call me as soon as he was in a place where he couldn't be reached or pulled back by our parents. One month, at the most. Every day, I waited for him to call, for an email. That's why I was surprised to find out that Diana and Daniel had come back to town." Cheryl recounted.

"You tell anyone about the plan? Any way that you can corroborate it? And you have no idea why your brother wanted to run away, fake his own death? Doesn't that seem cruel?" Sheriff Keller rapid-fired questions.

"No, he wasn't... Jason wasn't cruel." Cheryl defended her brother.

"So maybe this is all just a web of lies you're spinning to cover your own tracks." He accused.

"I didn't kill Jason! There was a gunshot that morning. We heard a gunshot on July 4th. Maybe whoever killed Jason took a shot at him, and missed that morning." Cheryl quickly told him as she remembered.

"You heard a gunshot, and you're just telling us this now?" He fired back at her.

"I was upset. My brother was murdered."

"So upset that you sang and danced at a pep rally yesterday." Sheriff said just as the door slammed and the Blossoms walked in.

---------- TIMESKIP (FREE PERIOD || STUDENT LOUNGE) ----------

Betty, Kevin, Diana, Daniel, Archie and Ronnie were seated in chairs at the lounge room, talking about what happened when Archie confessed to Principal Weatherbee and Sheriff Keller about the gunshot he heard.

"So, are you a suspect now?" Daniel asked Archie as he sat on a couch with Diana's head on his lap.

"My dad says we all are, including me." Kevin says as he ate more licorice.