Chapter 37: Hand in Marriage

Even though I prepared myself for days, my heart still jumped out of my chest when Li came into my room one morning to say several people from the Wang family have come to visit.

"Do you want to change miss?"

                I was wearing a simple light blue silk layered dress with a dark blue slash tied around my waist. It was already a good thing I wasn't wearing my horse riding clothing.

"Do you think I should change?" I asked nervously.

"No" Li gave a small smile. "I was only teasing you young miss"

                I smiled wryly and made my way out of the room. When I arrived to the main hall, I did my best to ignore Wang Feng who was staring at me. I bowed my head to my grandfather, greeting him first before I greet the elder.

"Ahh..." I recognized the elder woman was the same one year ago when I made the chrysanthemum tea.

"It's been 2 years since we meet Fa Wei Lan" The woman smile was the same.

"Wei Lan greets elder Wang..." I understood now that his woman was Wang Feng grandmother. "Wei Lan greets Master Wang, Mistress Wang, and young master..."

                I felt my cheeks burning as I couldn't lift my head up to face these people. Hearing their soft chuckles, I felt my cheeks burning even more.

"Wei Lan"

"Y_ yes" I faced my grandfather, completely embarrassed but still force myself to look up at him.

"Elder Wang came to visit, hoping to try your tea again, do you mind making a pot for her to enjoy"

"Y_ yes, of course, its Wei Lan honor"

                I turned hoping to escape for a few minutes to gather supplies. But Min ruined my escape as he stood there holding the large tray with all the things I need. I wanted to smack that a big playful smile on his face.

"Mei-mei, you look cute today"

                While I could hear people behind be chuckling, I gave Min a deadly glare.

"Let Min-ge help you carry this"

                He smiled innocently as he walked by me to set the materials on the table where grandfather, Elder Wang, Uncle Zedong, and Wang Feng's parents sat.

"Mei-mei, everyone is waiting"

                I wanted to cry. My legs were aching to take off and never come back. But instead, I slowly turn, defeated. Head cast down, I went to the table, ignoring both Min and Wang Feng. In silence, Li had stood beside me holding a cold towel a small tray of water. After I clean my hands, I begin to set the charcoal and boil the water. The tea Min chose for me was perfect for Elder Wang. With the tea being light, I only needed to filter it once. After wiping my hands with the cold towel, I turned the cups and begin to pour the tea that had a jade green color.

"Don't forget about Min-ge and Feng-ge" Min said cheerfully.

                Completely defeated by my cousin, I pour those two annoying men a generous cup.

"Thank you mei-mei, you're so kind"

                I rolled my eyes and turned to hand Wang Feng his cup. Not only did he take the cup, he managed to take my hand as well before I escape back. Blushing hard, I felt him squeezing my hand to comforting my nerves before letting go. Heading back to the main table, I saw the empty cups and the smiles on everyone face. Wryly, I refilled their cups and kept my silences.

"Wei Lan, your tea skills as improved greatly" Elder Wang smiled as she clearly enjoy the tea. "I never had green tea like this before, what else is in it?"

"Green lotus petals" I said softly.

"Lotus?" Elder Wang smiled even more. "So that's why there is a lovely scent... so it's from the lotus flower"

"This is amazing mother" Wang Feng mother was amazed by the tea. "To be able to make tea like this, it's the first time I see something like it. Where did you learn it Miss Wei Lan?"

"P_ Please, Mistress Wang, it's just Wei Lan... to answer mistress Wang question. Wei Lan watched her mother since we was little. After Wei Lan was taken in by grandfather, grandfather was kind enough to send a tea master from ShuShu to tea Wei Lan"

"ShuShu? As in the neighboring country?" Mistress Wang asked.

"Yes, Master is from ShuShu, the style Wei Lan learned is called ShuMi"

                With that, the elders and mistress Wang both nodded in approval and smile. Feeling a bit embarrassed again, I look down at my hands.

"Wei Lan" My grandfather voice brought my attention back to him. "You are a bright child, you must already guess why Elder Wang is here..."

                I was blushing more and more. I wanted to find a hole somewhere to crawl into.

"Wei Lan, the Wang came here to ask for your hand" My grandfather went straight to the point. "You are grandfather treasure, the Fa Family princess; therefore, grandfather will allow you to decide who you want to marry"

                I was both moved by my grandfather's words and embarrassed that Wang Feng had truly done what he had said he would. I nervously pulled at my fingers, unable to say a single word.

"Wei Lan..." I tried to speak but I was scared half to death. "Wei Lan..."

"He Long, for claiming to be a gentleman, you are quite the schemer" Elder Wang snorted.

                Startled, I looked up to see Master and Mistress Wang with a hand on their lips as if they stop themselves from laughing.

"How could you sit there and asked your sweet granddaughter those type of questions? Wei Lan is a girl, a young girl. Have you forgotten how to speak to one?"

                Again, I was startled.

"You're obviously hoping your granddaughter would say no or run off with embarrassment" Elder Wang went on mercilessly. "He Long, I see through your little schemes"

                When I saw grandfather calmly drinking his head without denial, I felt my cheeks redden. Was everyone here making fun of me?

"W_ Wei Lan th_ think she should go back_"

                I was so nervous that I almost fell as I was backing out toward the door. When Feng caught me, I blushed even more. Chuckling softly, he helped me stand straight.

"Lan, let's take a walk in the garden..."

                Everyone was surprised by WangFeng gentle voice. Even his own family never saw him being gentle to anyone. Ihadn't noticed their surprised when he took my hand and led me out.