Chapter 41: His Games

I didn't see Wang Feng the following day. He had told me before he left that he would be busy with the preparation for the grandmother 60th birthday celebration. I had felt a bit depressed about it since our time together is limited - but I didn't dare to complain.

In the meantime, I had wondered what was appropriate for me to bring as a gift to Elder Wang. When I tried to consulted with my older cousin, he had to tease me instead.

"Mei-mei, you're growing more and more sensitive lately" Min laughed and held my hand, stopping me from leaving. "Min-ge is sad"

"Min-ge, please don't tease Wei Lan around this time... it's been difficult for Wei Lan" I turned to face him. "Everything has happened too fast"

Hearing me say this, Min only smile gently and patted my head.

"Come, let's go to the market, I'm sure we'll find something there"

Relieved, I followed him to the market.

At the market.

The capital city was big - so big that I never thought to run into the one person I did not want to run into - Hou Rong. When I was at a woman's clothing store, he happened to be there too.

"Miss Wei Lan" Hou Rong smiled as soon as he saw me. "What a pleasant surprise"

It may be pleasant for him - but awkward for me. Seeing his smiles, I realized with surprised, how calm my heart was. I knew it was because of Wang Feng.

Ever since Feng appeared, my heart has been a mess. Because of his intense pursue of me, I had no time to think about anyone else but him. With my current situation with Wang Feng, Hou Rong truly became a distant memory - nothing more.

"Official Hou" Min had been beside me the entire time, answered for me.

Hou Rong didn't even glance at Min and continue to smile at me. It made me a bit uncomfortable so I purposely step back hoping that Min's bigger, taller body can be my shield.

"It appears I have truly offended Miss Wei Lan last time" Hou Rong chuckled softly. "Please, let me apologize, as I hope we could be good friends"

Becoming friends is already difficult and yet he brazenly said "good" friends. In the past, I may have been naive to believe his charm, now all I can see is a snake. It made me doubt his intention even more.

"Official Hou has nothing to apologize for" I replied as nonchalantly as possible while continuing to look through the fabric before me. "Wei Lan was not offended; please do not worry about the matter"

"I glad to hear this" Hou Rong smiled. "I would like to invite Miss Wei Lan for a light meal this evening - I hope you accept the invitation"

Again, his words are bothering me. He haven't even acknowledged my male cousin, nor has he made the effort to do so. Hou Rong had thought by smiling and giving his full attention on me while deliberately ignoring my cousin is going to win him favors. I adored my cousin. I see Fa Min as my precious older brother. Anyone being rude and disrespecting to Min only annoys me.

"Wei Lan thanks Official Hou for the invitation, but it is not proper for Wei Lan to accept"

"Oh? How is it not proper? I am an honorable man"

"Yes Official Hou is an honorable man" I indulged him before finally turning to face him. "But Wei Lan has already been promised to another. It's not proper for Wei Lan to accept anyone's offer unless the offer is from the one she is promised to"

"Oh" Hou Rong smile faltered a bit. "And who is this fortunate man that Miss Wei Lan is promised too"

I didn't hide my frown. Why does it matter who I was promised to? As an honorable man, when a lady told you she already belong to someone else, you leave her be. And yet he's persistent in asking. So either he doesn't care that I belong to someone else, or he didn't believe that I belong to some else. Whatever the reason, it still doesn't look good on him to continue.

"That is none of your business Official Hou" Min steps in, clearly not letting Hou Rong any closer to me. "Mei-mei, it's time for us to leave"

"Yes Min-ge"

I didn't question him and followed him out the store. We really should have left earlier and avoid the whole awkward mess.

"That man is shameless" Min snorted out as soon as we were a good distant from the store.

I nodded my agreement.

"And why is he in a woman's clothing store?" Min questioned suddenly.

I laughed at his question.

"Min-ge, only 2 types of men goes to a woman's store alone"

"Oh?"

"Would Min-ge like this mei-mei to educate you?"

"Please teacher Wei Lan"

"A Casanova or a transsexual" I teased with a smile. "Which type do you think he is?"

Min gave a laugh at my comment. His laughter was infectious so I laughed as well.

"So mei-mei knows what type of man is then" Min chuckled. "It's unfortunate for him that my mei-mei won't fall for his little games"

I smiled bitterly. Once upon a time, I did fall his little games.