The Crown Prince

Light brown waves of hair and tan skin came into view when Luc removed his helmet. Even though he was too far for him to see his eyes she knew that they were silver and glittering with the muted joy that was clear on his face. For the first time in her life, she was paralyzed. This had to be a dream. Every time she thought to move her feet she couldn't. She thought that if she closed her eyes and opened them again, the soldiers in front of her would disappear and it would have been just an illusion. It had happened many times before in her dreams. This was one of those times.

But when she opened her eyes again his was still there and the distance was closing between them. "Luc?" she said and her voice was barely a whisper.

"Vivia!" he was calling out. She thought she heard him laughing.

He was wearing his favorite leather over a dark blue waistcoat and white blouse. He was wearing a gold and blue cape on his shoulders and black riding boots. When they were close enough and he hopped off of his horse she could see that he'd finally gotten a haircut and his face was freshly shaven.

It wasn't until she blinked that she realized she was crying. They were hot as they rolled down her cheeks and she dropped her basket on the floor. She took her steps slowly and deliberately but Luc was running toward her. She was at such a loss for words she couldn't say anything other than his name.

"Luc," she said when he was close enough to hear her. "Luc."

They crashed into each as he swept her off her feet. He was real and he was holding her and it felt like it was just the two of them all over again. All those months had melted away and it felt as though he never left, to begin with. 

"You came back," she whispered. "I can't believe you came back."

"Did you ever doubt I would?"

                                                                                  ***

Lukas had dreamt of this moment since the day he left Canta. 

Vivia Ellspire was the only thing on his mind, day in and day out. At one point, he thought it might've been best to forget about her. To allow her to have a normal life in Canta doing what she loved but the selfish part of himself won out in the end. Because he couldn't.

And now, he was going to do something about it.

He traveled for months from Calais to Canta, making numerous stops along the way. Through a chilly fall and treacherous winter, the thought of seeing her again was the only thing that propelled him forward. And now she was here in front of him, not just a figment of his imagination. Wild, long, dark hair, big eyes, and red lips. She was wearing the same leather stay and plain white dress she used to tend to the fields. 

Her face was covered in splotches of dirt and curls were matted to her forehead. As if noticing, she started to pull away. "Luc, your clothes—"

"It doesn't matter."

"I'm covered in dirt—"

"It doesn't matter. Vivia," he took her face in his hands.  "You're here."

Fresh tears sprung to her eyes and she blinked them away. A mix of anguish and embarrassment took over her features and she looked away. "I wrote to you so many times, what happened?"

"I haven't been in Canta for months," he said quickly. "I've been on my way here since the middle of winter. Vivia, you wouldn't believe all that's happened, the things I've seen. the wild adventures!" just thinking about his journey made his entire body shake with laughter. "I have to tell you everything! You'll love it!"

"Luc..." she swallowed. "There's something important I must tell you—" 

He nearly jumped out of his boots. How could have forgotten? "Vivia, hold that thought for one moment!"

"Luc—" she said softly.

"This is important too, I swear it." He jogged back to his horse, bringing her with him. Now that he was finally home he couldn't bring himself to let go of her. It was almost like he was afraid she might disappear again like in his dreams. He instructed his soldiers to stay a distance behind him and they had complied. They were at least a mile away, near the road that separated her land from the forest. He went into his satchel and pulled out the little black box he'd been carrying around with him for ages. "I have something I need to ask you."

In the light of the setting sun, her hazel eyes looked more green than brown. She was easily the most beautiful woman in the entire world. Her expression softened. "Will it only take a moment?"

For some reason, this made him chuckle. "I suppose that depends on you."

"On me?"

"Vivia, I didn't come all this way because I intended on remaining in Canta," Lukas said slowly. "I came to see if you would come back to Calais with me."

Vivia's eyes widened slowly. "You...you want me to what?"

It was then that Lukas opened the box he'd been carrying around with him and Vivia couldn't seem to articulate any words for she remained utterly silent. He expected her to either be beside herself with excitement or completely mute. Her silence was not unusual to him. He took her left hand and slowly slid his grandmother's ring on her finger.

"I want you to marry me."

                                                                                                          ***

Vivia couldn't see past the tears that were gathering in her eyes. It was the most stunning ring she'd ever seen. It was a platinum band within swirling vines of rose gold covered in tiny diamonds. There were accent stones and the shoulders of the ring were made of platinum and shaped like several glittering flower petals that held a star-like diamond in the center. After a long moment of silence, she looked up. "I....me?"

"I'm afraid I haven't always been very honest with you. My name isn't really Luc Fernbrooke and I'm not a knight from Calais. I..." he let out a deep breath. "I'm Lucien Aldric Novena."

She felt the ground beneath her begin to sway. What should've been the happiest moment of her life quickly turned into a nightmare. "You're the Crown Prince."

*

*

*

I honestly just want them to be happy together already tbh.

QOTC: What should their ship name be?

AOTC: I have zero ideas. Let's take a vote in the comments.

XOXO Lilly