Chapter Thirty Nine- Hero

Kas ran around the base of the tower, his head whipping around at every cry and shout from the battle field. Eboni had disappeared, his brother was badly hurt and he didn't know whether his friends were alive, for all he knew, one of them could have already fallen.

The battle on this land was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. For all his grandeur about being a Warrior, he was not prepared for this. The battles on Sher Wood were a drop in the vast ocean compared to this. He grew a new quiver of bows and began his journey around the island.

The crashing of waves and water walls were holding strong, Kas ran up to Raus, who gave him a thumbs up before jumping straight back into the fray, jumping around and flinging Dark Ones to their doom. Kas searched for Kimi, she should be by his side and the fact that she wasn't was a worry, there was little but death that would make her leave her one assignment- protect Raus.

He continued with the fight, a seemingly endless enemy coming at them with an unrelenting energy. A bolt of fire flying past his head put at least one another of his fears away, he turned in time to see the Princess, her hair flying in a frenzy around her face, her eyes intent on her enemy, the fire within her seemingly never ending. Orlan was no longer needed as her protector, that was for sure.

He shot an arrow through the air, squarely hitting a Dark One who had just raised their sword to the Princess's personal guard. Orlan turned to see who had come to his aid, nodding in appreciation before turning back to his opponents, his shirt soaked in blood. Whether the blood was his or not he could not tell.

Kas shot a look to the tower, relived to see his brother being carried into the tower. He would be looked after and somewhat safe in there at least.

The red hair of his friend caught his eye, a rueful smile flickering for a moment onto his lips. Kimi was running, her swords brandished, not stopping for any man. She had not strayed too far from Raus after all.

Orlan, looked over to where Kimi was running too, joining her as she ran past. Wondering what had caught their attention he dispatched with the group of Dark Ones who had begun to surround him and ran after them. His bare feet sunk into the now muddy ground, the once green grass churned up with the footfalls, waterfalls and blood that now soaked into it.

He came to a stop, protecting the others backs as Kimi and Orlan joined the Commander, a familiar black mist flickering between the three of them.

Drar was jumping, using whatever dark magic he possessed to circle the Commander and cut him down. Orland and Kimi brandished their swords anticipating his next move, Kas watched helpless as he protected the small group from the Dark Ones they had begun to attract with their vulnerability.

"How many!?" The Commander shouted out over their cries of exertion.

Kas glanced over his shoulder confused as to what he was talking about, Kimi only rolling her eyes and huffing as she continued to anticipate Drar's attack.

His answer came as Orlan let out a hearty laugh. "One hundred and eleven!"

"That is nothing!" The Commander called back, "I have slain One hundred and forty!"

Kas shook his head, more arrows spurting from the ground at his command. They were having a contest over who could slay the most Dark Ones. How they had found the time and concentration to count them all was beyond him.

"How about whoever kills Drar gets fifty points! He is beginning to seriously get on my nerves!" Kimi shouted with a growl as Drar appeared again, now teasing them with non-fatal wounds. She clutched her arm as Drar sliced her skin before disappearing again, only to end up next to the Commander.

"Deal!" Orlan shouted, lunging forward, his sword connecting with Drar's, who cackled with laughter before becoming black mist once again.

"Deal!" The Commander echoed.

They surged on with a new effort, the three of them working together as Kas pulled arrow after arrow from the ground to protect them. The bodies of the fallen slowly piling up in a circle around them.

Orlan and the Commander began to fight as though they were in a frenzy, their swords slashing thorough the air as Drar continued to disappear just before he would have been struck.

Kas shook his head in bewilderment as Kimi stumbled back, now only getting in the way of whatever match the two of them had set themselves before the battle had begun, instead she joined him in keeping the Dark Ones away.

The clang of metal on metal as Drar jumped between the two of them, fighting, slashing, thrusting his blade. Kas had never seen a man so possessed by evil.

It was as though Drar possessed the strength of a small army himself, he was unyielding in his drive, his teasing now replaced by madness.

Cries of pain and anguish rang out as swords grazed their marks, slicing skin that they were meant to pierce. Blood bloomed through their clothing, sweat mangling their hair, mud lining their trousers.

"I will have my vengeance for the death of my brother." Drar shouted, charging forward, forgoing his abilities only to be deflected by the Commanders sword.

"Your brother was a pitiful excuse for a man." Orlan shouted back, spitting to the floor.

Kas watched as Drar roared in anger, charging.

The Commander lunged forward, his sword just missing its target.

Time stood still for the briefest moment, the Commander on his knees, Kimi staggering backwards, Orlan gasping for air, Drar's sword protruding from his chest.

Drar's lips curled up in a vicious and cruel smile, his eyes glinting with glee.

Orlan fumbled by his belt, unsheathing a small dagger.

"I watched your brother die, I shall enjoy your death too." He said, blood dripping from his lips as he plunged the dagger into Drar's throat.

Watching the fall of their human leader, the Dark Ones around them staggered back, away from the group.

Kas reached over to hold a shaking Kimi, together they ran over to Orlan. He was stood, swaying on his feet. The Commander stepped over Drar's fallen body grasping Orlans shoulder, supporting his weight as his legs failed.

"Fifty points to me. I win."

The Commander barked out a laugh, a sad smile on his face as their friend collapsed to the floor.