Chapter 36 -"You are his life, you idiot."

Elliot was jolted from her sleep by the appearance of a person dropping onto her bed. She shifted over as Cece took up part of her pillow. With a tired groan, she opened one eye and squinted at the day. Bright rays of light were falling into the room and bouncing off her yellow walls. Birds twittered outside, alarm-clocks to the day. Cece lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling.

"Did it ever occur to you to knock and then come in?" Elliot mumbled.

"Not for a second."

"Well, at least your brain is working as usual. I was worried after I didn't see you for a couple days."

"It's still screwed on straight." Cece looked over at Elliot. "How has work on the book gone?"

Elliot gave a floppy shrug, her eyes half closed.

"Hold on," she said.

She twisted around and grabbed her phone from the bed side table. Laying back down, she called Milo.

"Hmmmm?" a muffled voice answered.

"She's in my room," Elliot said.

The line went dead and she dropped the phone onto her blankets.

"He was in the living room?" Cece asked.

Elliot nodded, her eyes closed.

"We should start charging him rent," Cece said.

"He's dating you. I think that's payment enough."

"He really needs to get a life."

"You are his life, you idiot." 

They heard footsteps on the staircase and a moment later Milo pushed open the door, wearing jeans and pulling down a t-shirt. Bleary eyed, he pulled Elliot's arm chair over to the bed and sank into it, his head falling back. Cece raised herself to her elbows, staring at him.

"Did you just wake up?" she asked.

"Yeah, why?" he asked, not moving.

"I hate you!" she said, collapsing back onto the bed.

Milo raised his head and blinked out her.

"Are you going to tell me for what reason? Or should I merely read off a list of my faults and see how you react?"

"How do you look that good after just waking up? Gosh it's annoying!"

Cece mimed gripping something between her hands then let them fall back down. Milo smiled.

"I think you look beautiful," he said.

"Yeah, well you should get glasses, because I passed a mirror and nearly screamed at the sight."

"He's wearing glasses," Elliot muttered, "they are just of the rose colored variety."

"Well, you should trade them in," Cece said. "I hear those things make it hard to see anything realistically."

"I'll make a note of it," Milo said, sliding back down on the chair.

"Are we still on for today?" Cece asked.

Elliot let out a weak moan. "Yeah."

Cece sat up and glared at her.

"Don't chicken out on me," she said.

Elliot flipped around, so she faced Cece, her arms crossed over her chest. 

"He will hate us," she said.

Milo lifted his head, his tired thoughts pulled into the conversation. Cece's face went hard. 

"I don't care!" she said. "We're not going through another six months like last time."