Chapter Seventeen

Jay

Jay

"That's no way to treat a lady."

All color drained from my face and guilt immediately began to weigh heavily on my chest, making it difficult to breath. I couldn't believe that I just attacked a woman with no real reason other than paranoia.

I payed no mind to the roars and shrieks coming from the sky, I could hardly hear them over the thunderous beating of my own heart. The sharp edge of her blade dug into the skin of my neck, reminding me that even though she was a female, she was certainly not helpless. 

Just as I was about to speak up and apologize, the rocky terrain beneath me trembled. It was a feeling that I was all too familiar with. The same vibrations materialized every time Gallan and I landed from the skies. Dread and anger simmered in my blood as I looked back up at the beautiful female pinning me down.

She met my glare with one of her own. "Make one more move to attack and you'll find this knife lodged deep inside your throat."

A quiet grunt in reply was all I could muster. I pushed myself into Gallan's mind, hoping like hell that he was able to take on the other dragon I had yet to see. With a quick probe, I caught flashes of him urgently soaring over the snowy peaks of the mountain, and once I felt his fury, I pushed down the urge to smirk. 

"Who are you and why did you attack me?" The girl's voice was dangerously soft. I went to open my mouth but the knife shifted, and judging by the slight sting, I knew it broke skin. When I didn't answer right away, she pursed her lips and her green orbs narrowed into thin, angry slits. I gave her knife a pointed look and understanding dawned on her face.

Once the stinging pressure vanished, I let out a sigh of relief. "Why are you following me?" I challenged. 

She peered at me in confusion. "I wasn't. I was only hunting for food to bring back to camp before you attempted to strike me for no damn reason. Now answer my question." 

"It was because I thought you were following me," I said with narrowed eyes. If she wasn't, then who was she? And more importantly, where was the rider? My instincts were telling me that one was nearby and going off the steady growl coming from behind me, I knew there was a dragon, and the two never separated for long. 

She grabbed my exposed wrist with a surprisingly strong grip and ran her thumb over my rider's mark. I shivered at the touch, even if it was anything but sensual. Bringing her eyes back to my face, she frowned. "Where's your dragon?" 

"Not here," I lied. There was no way I was giving up his location. "So you're not working with Monroe?" 

Her lips curled in disdain. "What do you know of Monroe? Are you working with him?" Her blade made its way back to my neck. I would have thought she was lying if it weren't for the poorly hidden disgust marring her features.