1.9

Ashton wasn't at school the next day, so I was forced to eat lunch again at my old table again. Things were a little better, as in, Brooke hadn't exploded at any of us yet. She also hadn't told me she was pregnant either, something I had been waiting for her to confess for a while. We were supposed to be best friends, and I could understand her keeping it from me at first but I felt that they only way for her to get the help she needed was to come clean and talk to me - or anyone else - about it.

"Do you want to hang out on Saturday?" I asked Brooke, in an attempt to get her to be a little more herself.

"No, I can't, actually. I have something to go to." Brooke glanced at Luke, who was silently sitting behind her. I hadn't had the time to figure out if what Michael had said about it not being Luke's baby was true or not, Luke hadn't been at school for the past few days either and I haven't been able to talk to him about any of this.

"What is it?" I asked. "Maybe we can do something when you're done."

"I'm not sure how long it will take." Brooke shrugged. Calum kicked at my foot from under the table and nodded in Brooke and Luke's direction, probably wanting me to be the first to tell that that we all knew Brooke was pregnant. I knew that if I didn't say something first Calum would, and that might not end well.

"What are you doing?" Calum questioned.

"None of your buisness." Brooke snapped.

"Brooke..." Luke looked up at her. The two stared at each other for a moment, as if they were having a silent conversation.

"No, Luke, not yet." Brooke finally whispered.

"You have to." He whispered back to her, leaning in closer in case Calum and I were listening, which we were.

"I will, just not right - " Brooke shook her head, and before she could finish heer sentence Luke spoke over her, shocking us all.

"Brooke's pregnant."

"Luke!" Brooke yelled, slapping him hard on the arm. She stood up from the table, her chair falling down behind her.

"They're your best friends, you can't keep this a secret from them." Luke muttered, picking up a fork off the table and stabbed his sandwich with it, obviously not hungry anymore. The four of us stared between each other, waiting for someone to make the next move.

"Dude." Calum was the first to speak.

"I have to go." Brooke said quietly. She picked up her bag from the floor and slung it over her shoulder, quickly exiting the lunchroom.

"What the hell?" I stood up, grabbing my own bag. I understood that Luke just wanted to get it out there and not have to hide from us anymore, but he really didn't handle that the right way. I knew that Brooke had been acting like a bitch to me lately, but it wasn't completely her fault. She had a lot on her plate at the moment but she was still my best friend, I would still defend her.

"Oh, please. You two knew anyway!" Luke scoffed, letting his head drop into his hands.

"You didn't have to blurt it out like that!" I yelled at him.

"We were trying to ease her into it." Calum said quietly, obviously taking my side.

"Well it's not my kid anyway, so why should I even care?" Luke looked up at me, his eyes beginning to fill with tears. This wasn't anything new to me, Michael had told me that Luke wasn't the father almost a week ago, I was just waiting for the right time to bring it up, and I hadn't been planning to for a very long time.

"What do you mean?" Calum asked, at the same time I spoke. "Do you know who the father is?"

Luke shook his head. "She won't tell me."