Vilkas x Reader

What a grumpy man. I loved doing the Companions quest line so I thought I would include some love for the smart arse.

[Y/N]=Your Name

[Y/R]=Your Race

Fan art: http://spacesmilodon.deviantart.com/art/Vilkas-508321903

Hope you like it!

Sometimes I think Tilma knows too much

Just the two of us, me and Vilkas, sat In Jorrvaskr as we awaited the arrival of the circle. It was quiet today, most of the companions considered it prime time in the season to go hunting and bring back a few pelts, and the rest of the circle were all on an important job. Vilkas was sitting on the stairs while Tilma set the table for dinner, she didn't like anyone getting in her way. As for me, I stood across from Vilkas and leant against a pole.

"What are you reading?" I asked Vilkas who's nose was stuck in a book.

"A Brief History of the Empire volume three. Why do you ask?" He replied, nose not leaving said book.

"Ah yeah, I remember reading that one, sad book. The troubles that the Emperors endured were truly fascinating though I must admit." He stopped reading to look up at me for a moment, surprised by my knowledge of the book.

"How does someone like you know anything about literature?" He looked me up and down while questioning me as if the answer was on something I was wearing.

I had not long been here, just about two months in fact, but I looked like the people of this country for sure. I was a [Y/R] with long curly hair that I put in a ponytail more often than not, however, I didn't today. The hair hung loose around my shoulders and was slightly more springy today because of the humidity. I was wearing steel armour, gauntlets, and boots, and had propped my shield up against my leg as I de-tangled a long taffy treat. I could see where he was coming from though, I didn't really look like a scholar, I looked more like a thug.

"One acquires knowledge while on a few missions here and there. I get a few hours to myself while I am walking or riding to my destination so I bring a few books to pass the time." I said, a little laugh was heard from the middle of the room as Tilma walked past us with some dirty plates and headed outside.

"Don't say I didn't tell you so Vilkas." She smiled and left to clean the plates.

"Tell you what?" I enquired.

"She told me and Aela, once you came to us, to not judge you by the way you look." He huffed and returned to his book. "I guess she was right."

I smiled and returned to the treat in my hands. Ria knew I hated eating these things if they were in a bundle, so she messed with me every time I said I was having one by tangling the thing up before I could eat it. Wicked girl, but a good friend.

I sat down next to Vilkas as he flipped to the next page. We were silent as the fire pit crackled; it lit up the whole hall, every corner, every object, and every feature on Vilkas's face. I looked at him intently, he had no visible dirt on his face like some of the other Companions and for a guy who preferred to talk through problems first he had a lot of scars on his face. I guessed that scraping with bandits was harder with no shield. He had a scar in the same place as his brother: over his left eye. I never asked about it but it always intrigued me. His eyes seemed darker in the low glow of the fire and he looked at me with those icy blue eyes.

"What do you want [Y/N]?" He asked, closing his book but holding the pages in between his index fingers so he could continue.

"I was just looking at you, the light makes you seem like less of a grumpy old man." I smiled and Vilkas huffed and continued to read.